Solder inside joint?

Users who are viewing this thread

jhammer

Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time lurker, but I registered because I have a question I can't find an answer to anywhere on the interwebs.

I'm doing a double bathroom rehab. Upstairs, I've put in a shower, just finished tiling. I roughed in 1/2 copper supplies capped at the end of the stub-out. Well, that was a bad idea. THere are 4 body sprays and a handheld ell that require no more than 5/8" of male NPT thread from th efinished wall in order to mount flush with the wall. THe fitting is 1 1/8" long, meaning I have to recess it 1/2" past the surface of the tile. Not a big problem except getting the solder to the back of the fitting.

My question: is it possible to apply the solder inside the fitting, where the pipe hits the stop of the fitting? I did a test run on a scrap piece of pipe and took the fitting apart to check the sweat, and there was complete solder coverage. I know I run the risk of solder build-up inside the fitting, but they're horizontal, so I figure I can minimize the excess and wipe out most of it.

I know it's unorthodox, but has anyone ever done it?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I have done it but it's not a very good practice. I have also un-soldered joints from inside the pipe when the joint was in a wall.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Does this mean you stubbed copper out of the wall, rather than using a "drop ear elbow" and a brass nipple? It is not "unorthodox" because there are situations where that has to be done, and if done properly, it USUALLY produces a secure, leak proof joint. How are you going to cut the copper to the proper length, and clean the outside of the tubing?

jhammer

Reaction score
John,
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear.

hj,
Yes, that's how I stubbed out. A drop ear elbow would have been a smart idea.
Figured I'd cut the copper with a hacksaw and clean it up with emery cloth (maybe using a flathead screwdriver to get past where the fitting will end.
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the thread has to project 5/8" from the wall, the copper may have to cut INSIDE the wall, depending on how the adapter is formed. Most have the copper socket above the thread, which takes up MORE than 5/8".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks