(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: grounding 2000W inverter generator

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    So all that is left to do is for you to read and study them. Any and all of the links that you posted is nothing more than opinion. The facts come from the code books and the code book is what I have quoted.

What you have done is muddy the water with a lot of junk and opinions. In this thread you have not made one statement of fact but only your opinion which is wrong.

That is your opinion, And I respect that.

Guess we agree to dis-agree.

That is cool.

There must be at least a million electricians and electrical engineers that are wrong.

What would grounding the system hurt ?.

Without the source being grounded The GFCI may be tripping balls. And could be smoking the attached items.

Having the proper Ground will not hurt, and will protect all equipment involved. Including the user.

Have a Great Day.

DonL
    Last edited by DonL; 07-17-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    "Make sure the system is grounded according to local regulations."

For Your reading Pleasure;

http://www.electrical-design-tutor.c...grounding.html

http://www.cumminspower.com/www/lite...ingAC-2-en.pdf

http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Hurr..._generator.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_%28electricity%29

"The terms ground and grounding are used in US electrical practice. In the UK the equivalent terms are earth and earthing."

Osha Can't be wrong, or can they ???

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

That is your opinion, And I respect that.
    Not my opinion but fact
    There must be at least a million electricians and electrical engineers that are wrong.
    This may be true
    What would grounding the system hurt ?.
    nothing more than a waste of time
    Without the source being grounded The GFCI may be tripping balls. And could be smoking the attached items. Having the proper Ground will not hurt, and will protect all equipment involved. Including the user.
    True it will not hurt but it will do nothing to protect anything

Osha Can't be wrong, or can they ???
    No they got it right;
    Grounding Requirements for Portable and Vehicle-mounted Generators
    Under the following conditions, OSHA directs (29 CFR 1926.404(f)(3)(i)) that the frame of a portable generator need not be grounded (connected to earth) and that the frame may serve as the ground (in place of the earth):• The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator and/or cord and plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A), and
    • The noncurrent-carrying metal parts of equipment (such as the fuel tank, the internal combustion engine, and the generator’s housing) are bonded to the generator frame, and the equipment grounding conductor terminals (of the power receptacles that are a part of [mounted on] the generator) are bonded to the generator frame, 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(B).

Cool

I hate to even jump in on this one. All Don is saying is that it couldn't hurt to ground the frame of the generator.
    The original poster said he is basically running everything off extension cords plugged into the generator. The original poster also mentioned that the antenna has its own ground rod, and that the cable line is grounded to the copper water line. A TV connected to the cable or antenna will therefore have a ground connection, although not a decent one through the coax.

The TV has a 2 or 3 prong plug JAR3332?

This gets complicated. The generator has a neutral, which is a derived neutral, and it is grounded to the generator's frame. My experience with derived neutrals is when using 3 phase transformers in an industrial environment to get other voltages than the plant voltage, and these transformers have a neutral connection that needs to be used by the machinery connected to it. Those derived neutrals, must not be grounded unless it is bound to the building's service neutral, otherwise serious ground loops and ground currents are created. This should be simple.

Will a ground connected to the generator cause a problem here? I don't think so, but I am certainly not sure. Is it necessary like the consensus of the majority here say? probably not. Could it hurt as Don says? probably not. Am I sure of what I am saying ? Probably not. Am I being non-commital here? YES!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

If this was true;

The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator and/or cord and plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A)

But that is not the case.

Instead the system will distribute power to Items thru the use of electrical outlets and wiring within the house. That is where the problem is. The ground should be at the source, Not thru the antenna, cable, or anything else.

To be exact, and correct, too meet code It should be wired into a Grounded Disconnect Switch or a Grounded Switch Over, If connected to the main service.

For the application that it is serving, an Grounded Switch Over is not needed or required.
    But the outlets should be marked.

If it had to be inspected, I doubt that it would pass. Unless Mike is the inspector.

DonL
    Last edited by DonL; 07-18-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Op error

If this was true;

The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator and/or cord and plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A)

But that is not the case.

Instead the system will distribute power to Items thru the use of electrical outlets and wiring within the house. That is where the problem is. The ground should be at the source, Not thru the antenna, cable, or anything else.

To be exact, and correct, too meet code It should be wired into a Grounded Disconnect Switch or 4 Pole Grounded Switch Over. For the application that it is serving.

If it had to be inspected, I doubt that it would pass. Unless Mike is the inspector.

DonL
    Don, I don't know what to say. He said he ran wiring to outlets in the house, yes, but they were isolated from all other house wiring, kind of like he made up extension cords made out of romex with sockets in the room and the other end plugged into the generator's panel.

his words, copied and pasted: "These three outlets are not connected to the house's electrical service in any way. When the power goes out, I must unplug the UPS from the wall outlet and into the generator powered outlet." What he did is most assuredly not to code. If he ran plain old extension cords plugged into the generator and the TV plugged in to the cord at the other end, the generator would be hooked up as designed.

I have a transfer panel in my house. I have to look at it when I get home and see if the outside receptacle plug is 4 prong. I have a Generac 4700XL that I bought for the Y2K fiasco and made my house quick connected for the basic needs of lights, and oil burner, plus some outlets. I don't remember the grounding setup. I used it only once about 6 years ago when we had a 5 hour blackout on the East coast on a hot August day. It did the job real well. I even ran the ceiling fans on it (lighting circuit).
    Try to enjoy this very hot July day.
    Bob
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

DonL
    Wht not? Give us a code section that it is in violation of.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

I go away for a few days and I see our friend is just as clueless and stubborn as ever.

DON, INSTEAD OF POSTING LINKS, PLEASE PROVIDE THE CODE SECTION YOU ARE CONTINUALLY TELLING US REQUIRES THIS. PLEASE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    The first two links are for fixed generators and the third link says the same thing we are trying our best to explain to you
    A portable generator does not need nor require a earth ground.

The bonding is done to the frame of the generator
    You mean the links Don posted actually support our stance?

So him telling us to study this info and decide is a bit hypocritical, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    You mean the links Don posted actually support our stance?

So him telling us to study this info and decide is a bit hypocritical, huh?

You guys are so good with the codes, You tell me the Code Requirements, for the OP's setup.

I should not have to tell you what is wrong.

Are you missing a page in your book ?

Have a great day.

DonL

You guys are so good with the codes, You tell me the Code Requirements, for the OP's setup.

I should not have to tell you what is wrong.

Are you missing a page in your book ?

Have a great day.

DonL
    LOL
    Un-freaking-believable.

See post #2 and post #13.

I call what you have "man vision". You can't even see what has been right in front of you the whole time.
    I usually get this with my keys or phone. lol

As far as the manufacturer's requirements, I can't show you what is not there. Other than the part about consulting a qualified electrician. In that case see posts #2 & #13.

Default Fuel with no Ethanol

Quote Originally Posted by robertweal View Post
    What are the maximum hours for working for 2000 Inverter Generator.

A good genset should last 1,000,000 hours if you use good synthetic oil and Exxon fuel with no Ethanol.

Name:  spam.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  3.5 KB