(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Plumber Labor Cost to Install Toilet

Default Plumber Labor Cost to Install Toilet

I purchase a new Toto toilet and was going to have a plumber install it. The plumber I called quoted me $270 to install the toilet with new seal and supply tube. To me that sounds high but thought I'd get the thoughts of people with more experience. Does this sound like a reasonable price?

You're going to get different prices depending on the area.
    $200 to 300 is about ball park.

You are thinking once he gets in your bathroom, how long does it take to drop on a toilet, assuming everything is in good shape. Remember that he has to GET TO your place, meaning drive time...you woudn't expect him to not get paid for his time?? gas/insurance/title on the truck. Carrying cost on that wax ring and supply line he totes around in the truck for months?

If you live in an urban area, where a plumber might be in your neighborhood anyway, etc, you might find someone for a little less.

Installing a toilet is one of the simplest DIY jobs there is. A plumber must charge what seems to most of us as an awful lot of money for a simple job, but we don't consider the total time involved, his overhead, and his profit. This is why many of us DIY as many plumbing jobs as we can. It is not that the plumber is ripping us off, but if we can do a job that would otherwise cost use $200 or more, even if it takes us twice as long, we have saved a fair amount of money. If you don't feel you can handle this, you might find a friend or neighbor that has some experience to help. Certainly, there is nothing wrong about hiring a plumber to do the work, and while labor prices will vary widely from place to place, $270 does not seem out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    Installing a toilet is one of the simplest DIY jobs there is. A plumber must charge what seems to most of us as an awful lot of money for a simple job, but we don't consider the total time involved, his overhead, and his profit. This is why many of us DIY as many plumbing jobs as we can. It is not that the plumber is ripping us off, but if we can do a job that would otherwise cost use $200 or more, even if it takes us twice as long, we have saved a fair amount of money. If you don't feel you can handle this, you might find a friend or neighbor that has some experience to help. Certainly, there is nothing wrong about hiring a plumber to do the work, and while labor prices will vary widely from place to place, $270 does not seem out of line.
    True. I am in no way any kind of handyman and I managed to do it today even with installing a new flange. There are lots of great videos on YouTube to help you out.

Of course, if money is no object (it seems to be though), then go with a plumber. Ultimately, a man has to know his limitations. I have plumbing limitations but installing a toilet is not one of them.

The cost for that job would depend on the plumber's "minimum charge", which is usually his one hour rate. "flat rate" plumbers will charge more because they have to assume EVERY job will have problems, (and if it doesn't, they make a lot more money).

Quote Originally Posted by rdonchez View Post
    I purchase a new Toto toilet and was going to have a plumber install it. The plumber I called quoted me $270 to install the toilet with new seal and supply tube. To me that sounds high but thought I'd get the thoughts of people with more experience. Does this sound like a reasonable price?
    You may have gotten a better install price, If you would have purchased the Toto toilet from the same plumber that is installing it.

There are a lot of variables in your equation.

Have a Great Day.

DonL
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net