(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Bleach in Electrical outlets

  1. #1
    Wind Turbine Tech. II windsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albert Lea, MN
    Posts
    3

    Question Bleach in Electrical outlets

    I have just recently had to evict a tenant from a rental property that i have. When i finally was able to get into the house after they moved out, i found bleached stains around all of the outlets and light switched streaming down to the floor. The house reeked of bleach, so i am guessing that they sprayed bleach into all of the outlets and switches. Does anyone know if this could potentially be a fire hazard or any kind of hazard? I have never seen or heard of anyone doing this before. Any advice is very much so needed.

  2. #2
    Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Land of Cheese
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    I don't think there are a great number of chemists in the forums that can positively tell us what the long-term effects of a diluted bleach solution on a receptacle.

    If it were mine, I wouldn't worry about it unless there were symptoms of degradation.
    Actually I wouldn't worry about it then either, I would just change the receptacles.

  3. #3
    Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NY State, USA
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Don't you wish you could take someone like this into an alley and give them what they deserve??

    Why is it folks who are in the wrong usually go on the offensive like this. I had the same kind of thing happen to my mother years ago. I wanted to kill the guy!!

    So sorry that you can't pay your rent and I am not in a position to let you live there for free. I have a mortgage and taxes to pay.


    Sorry for the rant, I also have no idea if this is a long term problem. I don't think bleach's toxicity lasts after it evaporates.
    Hey, at least they didn't use cat pee.

  4. #4
    Wind Turbine Tech. II windsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albert Lea, MN
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Yeah, the house actually smelled very clean, like bleach. Yes, i am grateful that they didnt relieve themselves all over the carpet (that i am aware of anyway). And yes, they were completely on the offensive. the dude was straight up psycho! Glad to have him out! They were so bad the renter next door moved out. Back to the bleach though, I do know that bleach doesn't just evaporate. It leaves little granules behind, kind of like sand. I know this because it was all over the kitchen counter and floor. I think I may just replace the outlets. They are inexpensive enough and with any luck, when I present all of this to the Judge, they will end up paying me back. Thanks for the advice and Yes, he best hope he doesn't meet me in a dark alley:-)

  5. #5
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,633

    Default

    quote; they will end up paying me back.

    What you mean is that you will get a judgement, and HOPE you can collect on it, for which the chances are slim and none.

  6. #6
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    quote; they will end up paying me back.

    What you mean is that you will get a judgement, and HOPE you can collect on it, for which the chances are slim and none.
    Actually, he does have three chances of collecting from them: Slim Fat None

  7. #7
    Wind Turbine Tech. II windsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albert Lea, MN
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Well, thanks for the helpful and encouraging words. No chemists here but I guess we have some lawyers.

    Just looking for some advice on the bleach in outlets. I don't care what you think about me getting my money. I am fully capable of taking care of that.

  8. #8
    Consultant cwhyu2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati OH
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    I would just replace the recepticals and that way you know are safe.

  9. #9
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cwhyu2 View Post
    I would just replace the recepticals and that way you know are safe.
    I agree, especially if all the cover plates were on when the bleach was sprayed on the walls and outlets/switches. Wipe off the back of the plates while they are off with a damp cloth or replace them if they got corroded.

    Enjoy the 4th today!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  10. #10
    Homeowner geniescience's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    humid summers hot, humid winters cold
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    when it's undiluted or almost totally undiluted, it performs one kind of action chemically.
    With a bit more water to dilute it, it does another action. Not bad.
    With more water it turns into soap.

    There are lots of articles you can read here and there that can help you understand what "bleach" is.

    So, you could spray water onto the bleach. (cut power first). It turns it into soap, and then it dries. If you have the time.

    From where I sit, I cannot see smell or sense how much they sprayed. If power was "on" the whole time, it cannot have been much spray. I cannot guess if they intended to be clean freaks, or to sabotage your house. It is not likely that the quantity of bleach is so much that it will damage your drywall to the point that it loses its ability to remain rigid. But, how can I tell from here?

  11. #11
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geniescience View Post
    So, you could spray water onto the bleach. (cut power first). It turns it into soap, and then it dries. If you have the time.
    If you do spray it with water, Then I would use deionized water, or you could have other problems.

    Replacement would be best, If the bleach did indeed get into the electrical contacts. You will know if the lights start blinking.


    DonL
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  12. #12
    General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    northfork, california
    Posts
    3,258

    Default

    Be glad they were dopes and didnt use Draino or muriatic or nitric acid. Then we could talk!

  13. #13
    DIY Junior Member Ichabod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Statesboro, GA
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Bleach is made from sodium chloride and water. When it breaks down the chlorine goes into a gas and the remainder is water and salt. The salt will form crystals. Diluted bleach is an electrically conductive liquid and it is corrosive. If this were my house I would be concerned the recently evicted tenant were doing some illegal cooking in the house that he tried to conceal with the bleach. I think I would get some DEA types in there to sniff around.

    Ichabod

Similar Threads

  1. New Well, Bleach Added - Help!
    By Springer in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 06:34 PM
  2. How to Bleach Wood
    By Blumengarten in forum Remodel Forum & Blog
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 04:04 AM
  3. Electrical Engineer allowed to do Electrical work?
    By willijimon in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM
  4. Problems with well after attempting to sanitize with bleach
    By NewHomeOwnerinPA in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 11:38 AM
  5. Bleach in your toilet?
    By bobinparma in forum Toilet Forum discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 09:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •