Best Submersible Pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryman

Reaction score
There is a lot of good information on this board so I thought I would ask everyone's opinion on what they thought the best brand submersible pump was? In my area, East-Central Texas, a lot of people say their submersible pumps do not last due to the high iron content. TIA for your comments, Dryman.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I've not seen iron destroy pumps but then the nearest I have ever lived to Texas is Oklahoma. I think there is sone other problem such as cycling of the pump. If thats the case I'd suggest that you consider installing a Cycle Stop Valve http://www.cyclestopvalves.com. Cycling and inproper installation distroys pumps quicker than anything. Be sure you contract a state licenesed pump installer. I would also consider contracting a NGWA Certified Contractor.

DanT

Reaction score
no idea here. havent dealt with submersibles for 35 years

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
no idea here. havent dealt with submersibles for 35 years

That was about the last time they made a good pump.

The problem is none of them are good anymore. Every manufacturer has cheapened up their pumps and motors to be able to compete with other manufacturers who have cheapened up their pumps and motors. The trend to build in planned obsolescence was started about 1970. I first learned about it in 1974. A reputable pump manufacturer, who made pumps which would easily last 30 years, told me they had to change their design. They said they couldn’t make money, selling pumps that lasted 30 years. So they redesigned their pumps to last an average of 5 years. Motors were shortened, good ball bearings were changed to bushings, impellers were changed from brass to plastic, etc, etc.. Other companies had already done this, which is why this company couldn’t sell pumps at a higher price. Now they have all had 40 years experience building in planned obsolescence, and have gotten very good at it. Motors are even shorter still. Pump cases are plastic instead of metal. Even the once coveted Franklin motor now has plastic end bells on their big box store models.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did consumers start looking for cheaper products, so manufacturers started making cheaper products? Or did manufacturers start making cheaper products, so consumers started looking for cheaper prices? Either way it has turned into a vicious cycle now. People now search for the “cheapest” pump. So manufacturers compete to see who can make the “cheapest” pump. So there are no more quality pumps on the market. They would be too expensive and no one would buy one, even if they were available.

No one will pay $1,000 for a quality pump when they can get the same size pump for $350. First off, nobody believes quality is available at any price anymore, and they are probably right. When consumers started looking for a cheaper price, manufacturers started making pumps to sell at cheaper prices. When manufacturers started making cheaper pumps, consumers knew quality was no longer available, and started shopping for the cheapest price. Now all anyone can get are cheap pumps at hopefully cheap prices. You just don’t want to pay a high price for a cheap pump, so you need to shop around.

If I lived in an area where iron was clogging up pumps every couple of years, I would especially look for the cheapest pump I could find. Pumps today are made to be thrown away, and are no longer repairable. You will just have to buy a new one every couple of years anyway, so don’t pay too much for the pumps.

Now having said all that, there are ways to make even cheap pumps last longer. If they clog up with iron, you are just out of luck. But most pumps are destroyed prematurely because of improper installation or cycling on and off too much. Pump professionals have learned over the years how to install pumps where the wires do not chaff, the pipe connections do not rust out or come apart, to set pumps in the correct location in the well to get proper cooling. But most of all, pump professionals who really understand pumps are using Cycle Stop Valves to eliminate cycling on and off, because cycling is the number one killer of pumps. This is why pump/motor manufacturers do not like Cycle Stop Valves (CSV’s). Manufactures can predict how many times a day your pump will cycle, and they build in just enough quality to make them last 5 years of normal cycling. Using a CSV to eliminate 75% of the cycling will make even a cheap pump last four times as long as designed.

Pump/motor manufactures know the CSV will greatly extend the life of your pump, so they do everything they can to discredit the CSV. Just call Franklin Electric at their help line, 800-348-2420, and ask about using a CSV. They will pull out the little card of canned responses, and will tell you CSV will burn up your pump, or they will not warranty a pump that has a CSV.

In 18 years there has never been a single pump or motor destroyed by a properly installed CSV, quite the opposite is true. Saying the CSV destroys pumps makes the motor manufacturers look foolish, yet they will still do their best to dissuade you from doing anything like a CSV that will make your pump last longer. They will do their best to persuade you to use one of their Variable Speed Drives (VSD) or (VFD), because these are big profit makers for them, as they cost a lot, don’t last long, and further shorten the life of the already cheaply made pump/motor.

Asking Franklin or any pump manufacturer about a CSV, is like asking the mice to recommend the best mousetrap. Whatever they tell you will be the opposite of the truth, because they want to sell you more pumps/motors. (The mice don’t want to get caught)

Now go out and buy the cheapest pump you can find. Just do some research on the proper way to install and limit the on/off cycling, to make it last as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks