Please help, attempting to install new bathroom sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Hunt

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to replace by bathroom sink drain, because I picked up a new faucet that included one with a new pop-up stopper, the old one isn't working anymore. The new faucet is already installed. I have removed the trap under the sink, and I'm trying to remove the big nut for the drain under the sink, but the whole drain keeps twisting. Am I supposed to hold it somehow? I briefly tried taking a hacksaw to it, but it doesn't seem to be cutting through very well. Any help or insight appreciated. Thank you :)

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Ya, to be honest I tend to use a hack saw blade wrapped in a towel to hold onto it.
Takes a bit of time but better than buying a new sink for a client....

Sometimes it is the slow and steady that wins the race....

THere are fatster and better ways, but I do not what to buy a new sink for a client.
And I have not finished outfitting my truck with all the toys. Many times a drimmel with a grinding bit would have been nice but hard to beat the 12 cent hack saw blade, and I can bill by the hour.....

For my projects I would be a bit more agressive.
Michael

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Try a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and split the nut.

John

Chris Hunt

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I don't have access to a dremel at the moment though. :( Would cutting above the nut with a hacksaw work? I've tried turning the nut with some success, but it's a terribly slow process. Did not want this to be an all-day job, but it's looking that way right now.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If you don't have a dremel then a hacksaw will work, but as you said it will be slow. Above the nut will work.

John

Chris Hunt

Reaction score
Ugh, never should have attempted this....looked easy enough at the time though. The sink is now cracked around the drain, inside and outside.

5933466725_479ac78823_z.jpg

5933466675_c77dc1c884_z.jpg

Should the sink just be replaced? If they're even possible, how would a repair be done?

What replacement sink would I be looking for? Thanks in advance

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That is an A/S sink you might be better off replacing the vanity top.
What size is the top, you can find them anywhere.

Last edited:

Chris Hunt

Reaction score
Thank you both for the responses.

That is an A/S sink you might be better off replacing the vanity top.
What size is the top, you can find them anywhere.

Not sure on the size. What is a A/S sink?

Are there any economy options out there? Something on the inexpensive side that I can pick up from a big box store maybe? This place is a rental and I don't want to dump a ton of money into it.

Which one would be easier to install? The 21x19 drop in? I screwed this up, so I don't think I'll be doing the install myself anyway, but I figured it'd be good to know. Thanks so much

Bpetey

Reaction score
Thank you both for the responses.

Not sure on the size. What is a A/S sink?

Are there any economy options out there? Something on the inexpensive side that I can pick up from a big box store maybe? This place is a rental and I don't want to dump a ton of money into it.

Which one would be easier to install? The 21x19 drop in? I screwed this up, so I don't think I'll be doing the install myself anyway, but I figured it'd be good to know. Thanks so much
A/S = American Standard. you can find cheap vanity with sink at the box stores but you get what you pay for. The drop in option is probably the easiest.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
A/S american standard.
You can get cultured marble top to fit your vanity.
You just need to know the size of the vanity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks