Have a Kenmore Ultrasoft 275 and it softened the water for three years and stopped..I live in Florida where there is high chlorine content, and when the softener stopped giving soft water I noticed a dark brown residue on my water filter going into the house AFTER the water came out of the softener....Softener seems to be cycling through all of its stages, but the water is still hard. ( everything seems to be cycling fine)
Is it reasonable to believe that the resin is bad, and how can I tell when I take it apart? Will it be like mush? Have been told by neighbors that the chlorine kills water softeners down here, but three years?????
Thank you much