american standard tank to bowl gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

jgd

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to replace the rectangular gasket between my american standard toilet's tank and bowl (picture attached).

If it helps, there is a number stamped under the lid:

May 30

Any idea where I can get one? Thanks - jgd new.JPG

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That is not a gasket that prevents the tank to bowl connection from leaking. It acts as a spacer between the tank and bowl. It's the large round gasket that serves that purpose. I see nothing wrong with the gasket pictured. Just reuse it.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can reuse that "gasket", or eliminate it, since it is just a spacer in case the tank tightens far enough so it comes close to the bowl. The toilet will work fine either way, as long as you replace the round center seal. If you do reuse it the "U" goes towards the rear of the tank.

jgd

Reaction score
You can reuse that "gasket", or eliminate it, since it is just a spacer in case the tank tightens far enough so it comes close to the bowl. The toilet will work fine either way, as long as you replace the round center seal. If you do reuse it the "U" goes towards the rear of the tank.

I thought a section of this seal was missing (the piece that would tie it together into a rectangular shape). I had bought a kit with a new round seal, and tank bolts, etc. I installed everything except that I left this "U" shaped seal out (because I thought it was broken and I couldn't find a replacement. I also replaced the wax seal. The toilet was fine, at first, except that the tank did not sit on the bowl well - in fact, it was leaning back against the wall. I "fixed" this issue by slipping a sponge between the wall and the tank. Everything was fine for a few months. Then i noticed water on the floor around the tank. The water seemed to be coming from between the tank and the bowl - the back side of the bowl was wet. I assumed the culprit was the lack of this U-seal.

Maybe if I just re-install the seal I have it will be alright. When you say the U goes towards the back of the tank do you mean the top of the U is towards the rear of the tank, or the bottom of the U? Maybe there is only one way that it will fit.

Thanks for the feedback - jgd

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
The closed end goes to the back of the tank. Are you sure you used the right tank to bowl gasket? There are different types. Compare the old one with the new.

John

jgd

Reaction score
The closed end goes to the back of the tank. Are you sure you used the right tank to bowl gasket? There are different types. Compare the old one with the new.

John

Pretty sure. I have to pull the tank back off to put the seal in. I will check the round gasket to see if it looks right. I don't think I have the old one for comparison, though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ensure you have the tank bolts tight enough. The tank should not wobble if you have it right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
when you installed the bolts did you put the rubber gaskets under the bolt heads, or did you install metal washers first? Normally I would install nuts on the bottom of the tank to secure the bolts, but that model does not have enough room to do that. And if you DID use nuts on the bottom of the tank, that is why it is leaking because it does not compress the rubber gasket properly.

jgd

Reaction score
when you installed the bolts did you put the rubber gaskets under the bolt heads, or did you install metal washers first? Normally I would install nuts on the bottom of the tank to secure the bolts, but that model does not have enough room to do that. And if you DID use nuts on the bottom of the tank, that is why it is leaking because it does not compress the rubber gasket properly.

i am going to go the house where this toilet is, this weekend, to take the tank off and try to employ the information I have gotten here. Without seeing how I actually did install the bolts/nuts (I will see this weekend), I think I may have installed them with the head up (in the tank, under water) and the nuts on the bottom. I think I would have installed the rubber washer under the bolt head contacting the tank, and the metal washer between the rubber one and the bolt head.

You said there is not enough room to install the nuts on the bottom... so that means that the bolts must be installed "upside down" with the nuts inside the tank? I think I tightened the bolts down fairly well (without threatening to crack the toilet) but the tank has way too much play, and like I said, rocks back enough to lay against the wall. I'll see what's what this weekend.

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
What hj is trying to tell you is to use no nuts on the bottom of the tank. The nuts and metal washer goes on the bottom of the bowl with the head of the bolt in the tank.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I.E, no metal washer used in the tank...only the rubber one underneath the bolt head. IF you have enough room between the tank and the bowl (and on that model you probably don't), then a nut and washer under the tank to lock the bolt in place and make a good seal is a good idea. Then, another nut and washer when you set the tank on the bowl to hold it all together. That way, you take the tank/bowl rubber seal out of the picture for sealing around the bolt head since it's made when you add the washer and nut underneath the tank. Again, though, not all tank/bowls have enough room for that second nut on each bolt.

jgd

Reaction score
Your description is exactly what I did (there was room enough between the tank and bowl for a nut and washer), inserting the seal I had with the closed part facing the back of the tank - tank is now nice and firm on the bowl with no wobble and no leaks (been two weeks now).

Thanks to all for your help. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks