Chasing short on newly installed light circuit (also newly drywalled)

Users who are viewing this thread

waderpro

Reaction score
I have power to the switch, but the moment I touch it to the load side of the lights (8 daisy chained cans), sparks and breaker pops.

Before I accuse the drywaller of putting a screw through the wire somewhere, what other steps can I take to chase this down?

Yes, all the drywall is up, taped, and painted.

Thanks in advance.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, of course you'd want to make sure that the short is not located in any of the light fixtures first (the more likely case in my opinion). If not,
you would isolate each segment of the daisy chain and test it for shorting. At least then you'd know approximately where to start pulling off drywall.
If the drywaller put a screw or nail in the wire, then it's the electrician's fault for inadequately protecting the wires.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The most likely spot is the first light. Since the wire from the switch to the lights is probably a "white" one, it may be bundled into the white neutrals at that point.

waderpro

Reaction score
HJ, please explain further

HJ,

Thanks for replying...could you please explain a bit further.

The power is coming in at the switch, and then out to the first can, and then daisy-chained. All the blacks to blacks and whites to whites.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Look in the switch box,if it is single pole, then you have a feed to switch(line),then you have feed to can lights(load).You need to find which is line and load first,at the switch.Do you have a muti-meter?Pull the first can out and check how it is wired,you may have undo all the connections at the first can.Then test from that point,if that is not the cause then you will have to go down the (daisy chain) one by one.
? did you wire this or was it done by an electrical contracter?

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Pretty hard for the drywaller to screw up if you used nail plates of the correct size or stapled the wire well up into the joist.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is done the way you indicate, then go to the first light and separate the white neutrals. Then try the switch. If it trips the breaker then the problem is in the wiring between the switch and the light, or the hot wire is shorting out in one of the lights. If it does NOT trip, then start reconnecting one neutral at a time, turning the switch off while you connect it and back on afterwards, until you find the one causing the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks