too cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This forum should be fun.

I was a twidget in a former life ( Navy electronics technician) but we had tubes and wobulators and such. When I worked for the telephone manufacturer, we had integrated circuits and even Z80 microprocessor! All that stuff pretty much compares to model T Ford today!!! I look forward to seeing what comes up here.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Could be fun jimbo.

I used to work on the Z80s and it is still a good cheap microprocessor.

I still have a Commodore 128 that has a Z80 in my computer museum. It runs CPM.

A model T Ford is worth a lot of money today.
But the Z80 is just another part that sits in the junk box.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A tech's mother was at one of his conventions, years ago, when the guys started talking about their 486-32, 486-SX, and 486-DX2 chips. She wanted to show that she was well ahead of those triple digit chips so she said her computer was an 8088 model. Someone told her, "We have one of those also. It is in our museum."

DonL

Reaction score
I have a 286DX2-66 that has been running 24/7 now since the day I built it.

It runs a Radio Repeater on 2 meters and 70 Centimeters.

The only thing that I have replaced is the power supply fan, about every 5 years.
They don't build them like that any more.

The 8088 running at 4.7 megahertz used to kick some ass in its day, and cost as much as a automobile when IBM came out with it. Had a big 10 meg hard drive.

When the clones came out and added the 10 megahertz Turbo Button, then the buss speed became a problem. Could not overclock the add on boards or the MFM controllers.

You bring back some good old memory's hj.

Older is sometimes better...

Enjoy your day.

DonL

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a 286DX2-66 that has been running 24/7 now since the day I built it.

It runs a Radio Repeater on 2 meters and 70 Centimeters.

The only thing that I have replaced is the power supply fan, about every 5 years.
They don't build them like that any more.

The 8088 running at 4.7 megahertz used to kick some ass in its day, and cost as much as a automobile when IBM came out with it. Had a big 10 meg hard drive.

When the clones came out and added the 10 megahertz Turbo Button, then the buss speed became a problem. Could not overclock the add on boards or the MFM controllers.

You bring back some good old memory's hj.

Older is sometimes better...

Enjoy your day.

DonL

Like adding an expanded memory module to go from 64K to 640K and installing a 3.5 inch floppy to replace one of the 5.25 and putting in a 10 MB hard drive to my old Tandy. WHHEEE!

DonL

Reaction score
I have a Tandy TRS-80 with a 8 inch Floppy, In my Museum.

I think the 8 Inch Single Sided Floppy holds 180K Bytes. And I think it came with 64K of Ram.

Still Works. I Just don't have many spare Floppy's.

Tandy was one of the first to have a True Audio/Voice Chip.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks