Is it necessary to turn on the sprinkler system at least once every season?

Users who are viewing this thread

VishalG

Reaction score
Hello,
We are in the process of switching our sprinkler system guy. But because it has been raining so much we kept putting off the turning on of the sprinkler system. It is still in the "winterized" state. Is it okay to leave the system dormant for this whole season, or is it some sort of a best practice that the system be turned on once every year?
Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know of no reason that it would be necessary. I would wonder if you can make it through the last half of July, the whole month of August and into September without irrigating the lawn. That's a long stretch. Also, if you have any trees in the lawn area, you may well damage them without irrigating. Not sure what your "sprinkler guy" has to do with any of this. I call for professional help once each year to certify my back flow preventer as required by law. Other repairs are almost always a DIY job.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sprinkler suffer from inactivity. Rubber seals get stiff. Dirt packs around your pop up heads. Pilot valves get stuck. If you want it to be ready for the dog days of summer, might as well give it a go.

rfrrace

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.sunrise-sprinkler.com
I agree with Jimbo, but...

Sprinkler suffer from inactivity. Rubber seals get stiff. Dirt packs around your pop up heads. Pilot valves get stuck. If you want it to be ready for the dog days of summer, might as well give it a go.

I agree, but I have work on systems that have sat for several years due to nobody living at site, etc. and fired up with amazining results for most of it. By most of it, I mean is when systems sit, grass,& weeds will grow to the moisture that is always present. Dirt, even bugs or worms can get into the rotors too. I wouldn't panic about letting the system sit for a year, except to also remember, the few hot, dry days you will get will really stress your lawn and plants, so it is nice to have some back-up to keep everything healthy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks