Grounding Bus Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric3872

Reaction score
You have all been really helpful with your advice and suggestions. I'm wiring a new clothes dryer and am at the final step. I've run into a snag. I ran 10/3 from a new 30amp outlet. I have a 2pole 30 amp breaker ready to add to my panel (I'll be freeing up a slot by adding a 20amp tandem to one of the slots and removing another breaker that serves a dedicated outlet than is not in use). The snag I've ran into is:

The 10/3 wire has a dedicated bare copper ground. The way my panel was wired, it appears that there are either two neutral bus bars, or the grounding bus bar has neutral wires attached to it. Is it possible that both bus bars are for the neutrals and there is no grounding bar? The whole house is wired with BX, so there are no ground wires in the panel connecting to anything as far as I can tell. My question is, can I attach the copper ground to one of the bus bars that has neutrals on it, or do I have a more complicated problem on my hands? See photos of panel below. Also, there is what appears to be a grounding clip in the panel, but nothing is attached to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Without seeing your details, in a main panel the neutral bus and the ground bus are tied together. Speedey will tell us if it is ok to mix and match whites and bares on either of those busses.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Not everyone can see your pictures.

If you have a older box then you may not have a separate ground bus.

What ever bus that your box Ground rod is connected to is where the bare ground wire should be connected.

DonL

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The neutral and ground are connected together in the panel, so if your panel does not have a separate ground bar, it is acceptable to connect the ground wire to one of the neutral bars.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here are the photos. Didn't realize I couldn't upload from my pc.

CLOSE! Select one of your photos. Underneath it are some options. One is direct link. Copy that line and post it. if you keep the size small enought the photo will appear using the format. If it is too big...no worries. Readers just click the link to see it.

Well, the text didn't copy, I left the photo below because it is cool! Yup, that't me. This is the new navy...battle stations torpedo, aloha shirtz!
28%

jimbo-at-sea-800.jpg

Jimbo at sea

Eric3872

Reaction score
CLOSE! Select one of your photos. Underneath it are some options. One is direct link. Copy that line and post it. if you keep the size small enough the photo will appear using the format. If it is too big...no worries. Readers just click the link to see it.

I left the photo below because it is cool! Yup, that't me. This is the new navy...battle stations torpedo, aloha shirtz!

I see. Here they are:

eric-02.jpg

eric-03.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If I am interpretting your photos correctly, it appears you have a pair of #10, or so, wires feeding the panel, and if so, that panel is much too "busy" for that feed. It appears that it would be stretching it even if they are #8s, and I really doubt that they are #6s.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Is that a sub panel,it does not look like a main panel.Is it a100amp panel,it looks like the feed is # 8
You might want to check the AMP load on the line side of that panel to see how many AMPs it is drawing.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears that the panel originally had 16 single devices, but over the years 6 of them have been converted to "twin" breakers so now it has 22 circuits in it, and he is adding #23 a two pole 30 amp one. I cannot imagine how that panel is NOT overloaded, even given that not ALL the circuits are drawing power at the same time.

Eric3872

Reaction score
Is that a sub panel,it does not look like a main panel.Is it a100amp panel,it looks like the feed is # 8
You might want to check the AMP load on the line side of that panel to see how many AMPs it is drawing.

This is a sub panel I believe. It's a multi-family house There are three electric meters with main panels in the basement for each apartment. This one is located in the apartment. Believe it or not, this is a new panel with new service throughout within the past couple years. The contractor that renovated the house before I bought it was an idiot. The electrical system is just one part of a ridiculous renovation that I fixing in bits and pieces as I go. How do I check the AMP load?

Eric3872

Reaction score
It appears that the panel originally had 16 single devices, but over the years 6 of them have been converted to "twin" breakers so now it has 22 circuits in it, and he is adding #23 a two pole 30 amp one. I cannot imagine how that panel is NOT overloaded, even given that not ALL the circuits are drawing power at the same time.

I am removing two of the tandem circuits to make room for the 30 amp breaker. So there will not be any additional load added to the panel.

DonL

Reaction score
CLOSE! Select one of your photos. Underneath it are some options. One is direct link. Copy that line and post it. if you keep the size small enought the photo will appear using the format. If it is too big...no worries. Readers just click the link to see it.

I left the photo below because it is cool! Yup, that't me. This is the new navy...battle stations torpedo, aloha shirtz!
28%

That is a nice picture.

How were you able to get the camera off the Sub? I know don't ask because you can not tell...
Looks like you are on the surface.

I worked on the Sonar Systems, but can't tell... Only the Fish know...

Very nice. Very cool...

Have a great weekend.

DonL

DonL

Reaction score
If this is true "This is a sub panel I believe. It's a multi-family house There are three electric meters with main panels in the basement for each apartment. "

I would make sure that you do not overload something. Could be easily done...

Be careful playing with electricity.

DonL

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, the secret is that the pic is taken on the USS DOLPHIN ( AGSS-555) which is now a museum sub. at the San Diego Maritime Museum! It was a deep diving ( 5000') researh sub, and all the sneaky-peaky equip. is removed, but it is otherwise a nice exhibit of a fully operational submarine....well, they cut a hole in the side for visitor access, so it won't dive again soon!

Eric3872

Reaction score
Not everyone can see your pictures.

If you have a older box then you may not have a separate ground bus.

What ever bus that your box Ground rod is connected to is where the bare ground wire should be connected.

DonL

There does not appear to be a separate ground connection to either bus.

Eric3872

Reaction score
If I am interpretting your photos correctly, it appears you have a pair of #10, or so, wires feeding the panel, and if so, that panel is much too "busy" for that feed. It appears that it would be stretching it even if they are #8s, and I really doubt that they are #6s.

The main feed wires are definitely larger than #10. They are not labeled, so I can't tell what gauge, but they are at least twice the thickness of everything else in the panel.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Are you COMPLETELY removing the tandem breakers AND the wiring to them? If so, and it was because they were not being used then they were not a factor in the original panel's load, and you are adding 25-30 amps to the panel.

Eric3872

Reaction score
Are you COMPLETELY removing the tandem breakers AND the wiring to them? If so, and it was because they were not being used then they were not a factor in the original panel's load, and you are adding 25-30 amps to the panel.

They are being completely removed. They feed outlets that are not being used. There are at least 4 dedicated circuits on this panel that feed outlets for window air conditioners. The previous owner must have had air conditioners in every window. I am removing two of these dedicated circuits to make room and have no intention of ever using the others. I was planning on removing the wires from the panel and capping/disconnecting at both ends (panel and outlet), otherwise I'd have to rip open walls all over the apartment to completely remove the wires. That being said, I would still like to test the panel to see how many amps it is drawing before I go ahead with this. What is the best way to test it?

DonL

Reaction score
Turn everything on that you can, then use a clamp on meter at the input of the wires to the box. That will tell your total load.

Be careful playing with electricity.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks