Rebuild parts for 1989 Eljer Windsor one-piece toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

CoastProductsUSA

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.coastproductsonline.com
Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 4.07.24 PM.png

Pretty sure this is what you guys have been looking for.

You can purchase these parts from Coast Products USA, formerly Coast Foundry and Mfg. We have over 112 different variations in Flush and Fill Valves alone, and can build basically anything you need.
We also offer Plumber Direct Pricing to Industry Professionals.

Visit us @ http://www.coastproductsonline.com

Last edited by a moderator:

wynnwill

Reaction score
Eljer Windsor 1-piece Low profile toilet flushing problem

I have a problem with the flapper valve of my low profile toilet: I have to hold the lever for about 7 seconds to get a good flush since the flapper I installed does not float the way it should. The toilet dates from about 1994 but has no manufacturer's name on it. The brass flush valve (in the picture) has the words "COAST FDRY" on the side. I stupidly managed to lose the rubber flapper and the large rubber seal that goes under the brass valve while I was doing some remodeling. I have tried a variety of generic rubber seals and flappers from my local hardware store, but none of them have helped: the flapper drops down as soon as I release the lever.

Any suggestions as to how to fix my problem?

My toilet looks rather like an Eljer Windsor 1-piece, so I wonder if one of the parts 495-5517-00 or 495-5517-00NH would work.

eljer-briggs-tank-parts.jpg

toilet.JPG

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have a problem with the flapper valve of my low profile toilet: I have to hold the lever for about 7 seconds to get a good flush since the flapper I installed does not float the way it should. The toilet dates from about 1994 but has no manufacturer's name on it. The brass flush valve (in the picture) has the words "COAST FDRY" on the side. I stupidly managed to lose the rubber flapper and the large rubber seal that goes under the brass valve while I was doing some remodeling. I have tried a variety of generic rubber seals and flappers from my local hardware store, but none of them have helped: the flapper drops down as soon as I release the lever.

Any suggestions as to how to fix my problem?

My toilet looks rather like an Eljer Windsor 1-piece, so I wonder if one of the parts 495-5517-00 or 495-5517-00NH would work.

View attachment 23051

A generic Korky flapper should work fine. I had the same symptoms in my AS lowboy toilet. Held the button down for months until I decided to figure out how to fix it myself since the building maintenance guys weren't going to get it right. The problem was that the building maintenance guys who installed the flapper didn't set the chain right on it. The trick to getting it to float is to pull it up high enough that it wants to float, and to pull it straight up. Just fiddle with the chain length and it will be fine.

The flappers below come with a little round thingy that you could slip over an old metal overflow tube to attach the flapper to the flush valve. You'll need to cut that off when installing yours, and just slip the ears of the flapper over the pegs that I can see on the side of your flush valve. The instructions on the box show how to do that. Just use a scissors.

You can use the black Korky flapper that every old-timey plumber uses because it's cheap and works: Model 54BP

You can get the same thing in Chlorazone, which will last longer and resist chlorine: http://korky.com/Flapper2001BP.html I used that one for a while on my lowboy.

You can also get the one that's designed for older toilets and should float a smidge better because it has a bigger ball. That's the one I'm using now:

Avoid the one that says it's for lowboys, 92BP. It's not for your lowboy and doesn't float well. Any of those above should totally do the job for you.

PS Your old fill valve was made by Coast Foundry, now Coast Products. See the post directly above yours if you ever need a new fill valve for it.

wynnwill

Reaction score
To follow up my post of yesterday:

I got the Korky Flapper 20091BP and it works perfectly!!

Many thanks again for your expert (and very rapid) advice.

WW

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
To follow up my post of yesterday:

I got the Korky Flapper 20091BP and it works perfectly!!

Many thanks again for your expert (and very rapid) advice.

WW

I couldn't be more delighted that it worked out so well! Congratulations! I know how frustrating it is when something apparently so simple doesn't work. I'm sure it feels good to fix it yourself. It always does for me. :D

tmitch

Reaction score
Older Elger Windsor toilet flushing by itself

My Elger (looks like a Windsor circle 1985) started flushing on its own. Generally I replace the flapper and all is well. This time no go. It also flushes in the morning when I flush the master toilet (maybe water pressure build up?). I called a plumber who replaced the flapper and the flush valve. It's been two days and the toilet is back to where it was before I paid the plumber. At this rate I could buy a new one. Any ideas on this? I did the dye in the tank and water is leaking into the bowl. I replaced the flapper a couple times, cleaned the area under the flapper. Nothing seems to work. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you felt the flush valve seat using your finger? Maybe there is something stuck there.

There are repair products that include replacing the flush valve seat.
https://www.fluidmaster.com/toilet/part-type/flush-valves/

That is not to say that replacing the toilet would be a bad idea.

tmitch

Reaction score
I have felt the seat with my finger and it seems smooth and free of pits or foreign matter. The problem with replacing is that the toilet, sink, and tub are in a soft dove grey. To get a matching color would be extremely difficult and having a toilet in one color and the other fixtures in another is off putting. UGH!

By the way, I also has the plumber replace the seal under the flapper as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks