(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Reversing tub drain- how much can I add to existing drain pipe?

Default Reversing tub drain- how much can I add to existing drain pipe?

hello-
    This is entirely theoretical now. I don't know if I'll have trouble simply replacing an existing tub and drain. Here's my situation (Ontario, Canada; haven't been able to find code specific to this situation):
    I live in a semi-detached house, about 45 years old. The tub drain and supply pipes are all in the wall common to the two houses. So I likely only have about 4" or less of space to work with once I get the drywall off. Behind that is the concrete block firewall between our two houses. I may have to temporarily cut out some 2 x 4" framing.

Everything I've read says there should be access to the plumbing and perhaps it wasn't code when the house was built but I'd sure prefer that now! I wonder if I could reverse the right hand drain to a left hand drain tub. This would put that end of the tub on a wall common with a hallway and make it easy to create an access door in the hallway. But that would add about 5 feet to the drain assuming I simply extended the existing drain. (I don't know what I'll find under the drywall and/or flooring.)

Should I anticipate venting and/or drainage problems if I take that approach? If so, I won't try that - I'll somehow manage to replace everything in it's current location

Well, since I have NEVER worried about an access door for any tub I have installed in the past 60 years, and it has NOT created any problems, I think you are trying to cure something that is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Well, since I have NEVER worried about an access door for any tub I have installed in the past 60 years, and it has NOT created any problems, I think you are trying to cure something that is not a problem.
    Ha-ha... I DO tend to do that! Thanks for your reply.
    Derek

You would make the trap arm too long, there would be an issue with the vent, and you would have trouble maintaining the 1/4" per foot mandatory slope.