Vibrating toilet that shakes the whole house

Users who are viewing this thread

iamjulie

Reaction score
Hey -
One of our toilets is having a vibrating pipe issue. about halfway into filling the tank (it sounds like) the pipes under the house are vibrating. You can hear it from anywhere in the house. It used to happen just at night but is now happening after every use.

When we gently lift the ball and hold it up (slightly) while the tank fills the noise disappears. Adversely it's made worse if we run the sink while the tank is filling (and not holding up the ball)

Any idea what we need to replace to quiet down our disgruntled toilet?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
titanic.jpg

My husband replaced the inside things in the tank of the toilet, and now when it is flushed it sounds like a tuba
in the walls. I'm growing tried of the tune. HELP !!!!! Sherri

Sherri:---Tell your Husband that "Tuba Toilets" are passe and tacky. Insist that he take the nuisance noisemaker back to whence he got it forth with. There are excellent bargains to be had by the watchful buyer. A "Silver Flute" or possibly an authentic "Penny Whistle" might be more appealing to Madames impeccable tastes?
For those however who consider silence "Golden", you should instruct your husband to purchase a ballcock of known quality lest he invite unwanted
noises to emanate from the bathroom.
Just one thing before you send your Lord of the Manor on this quest for a quiet flushing loo.
Ascertain that he has in fact fully opened the water supply valve to the "China Throne"..Bud..​

WHY IS THE PIPES IN MY TOLIET AREA VIBRATING AT ALL TIMES THROUGHOUT THE DAY? IT SOUNDS LIKE THE TITANIC.
IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. ANGIE

Angie,
Your Titanic toilet is leaking at the flapper. Replace the flapper with a good quality 5-year flapper, and replace the fill valve (ballcock). When replacing the fill valve, get a new supply tube.
Loose rubber washers cause noises like you mention. (fill valve) The fact that the noises occur throughout the day, indicates that the water level in the tank is dropping, (leaking flapper) Terry

Angie:--Terry Love has furnished you first class advice on your TITANIC problem. He did however overlook a very very important thing.
Until the repairs have been completed on your toilet, you must insist that all users wear a life jacket and carry a flare gun...Ahrmand​

And even though the toilet sounds like a foghorn, don't get the idea that the sound will keep icebergs away. I've seen icebergs smash right into toilets at night. I would keep the night light on, it could get rather messy.
Terry

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
replace the fill valve with one which does NOT have a ball. Only people should "have a ball", and that should be while they are enjoying themselves, not using the toilet. Your fill valve is worn out or defective. And, if you notice in the picture, only three of the Titanic's stacks are emitting smoke. The fourth was a dummy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks