Jailed for cashing Chase check at Chase bank

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A construction worker that had bought a home and had received a $9,000 check from the IRS directly to his Chase account, was given a Chase check, minus some bank expenses, but when he went to cash it at a Chase branch, he was arrested and put in jail over the weekend. While he was in jail for trying to cash his IRS check, his car was towed and then sold at auction. A year later, he's still waiting to talk to someone from Chase bank.

http://www.king5.com/news/125105599.html

The teller didn't recognize that a Chase check was real, so they had him arrested instead of allowing him to cash the check.

So is it a crime trying to cash a bank check at a bank?
Sounds like Chase needs checks that don't look so fake, or at least educate the tellers and management about customer service. So what recourse do your have if you bank puts you in jail instead of handling your banking needs?

Is it okay to jail people by accident?
Should Chase at least apologize for their actions?

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What agency auctions a car off in two weeks. Most of them are so inefficient, that they cannot even find the car in the lot in two weeks.

Legally, none can.

There may be more to the story. He may not have been making payments.

I learned a long time ago, Don't believe every thing that you read...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The car was auctioned off, because the $9,400 check was being held in the evidence locker until the case went to court.
Because the check was being held, he couldn't keep up on his bills and had no way of paying for the towing fees. Has anyone ever had a car towed and then seen the daily fees for storage? I would imagine that when he was let out of jail, that just that alone would come to $450 by the time Monday rolled around. He would have to take a taxi, with money he didn't have and pay with money that was being held by the police.

Is this too difficult for you guys?
Can you just lose $9,400 and not notice it?
I imagine that he was counting on "his" check from the IRS, just like the rest of us. Which one of you could donate a $9,400 check to the Auburn police department so they could leave it in a locker until it comes to court.

Njoku’s car had been towed from the bank parking lot and his check seized as evidence.

“I had to wait a couple of weeks,” he said, “and my car got sold, auctioned off."

Njoku says he didn’t have the money to pay the impound fees and fines to get his car back before it was sold. He said he also lost his job because he didn’t show up for work while he was in jail.

I guess the moral of the story is don't be black, have a foreign sounding name, and live paycheck to paycheck.

He was a working man, like the rest of us, still working in this economy, and had managed to buy a home. Not enough? I think he deserved better.

Read the attorneys' letter to Chase

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I would not want to be in that mans shoes.

I once deposited an IRS refund check in my Federal Credit Union, and they put a 5 day hold on the funds, to make sure it would clear.

It is pretty bad when the Federal Credit Union does not even trust a Federal Issued IRS check.

Luckily, I just deposited it and did not need the money any time soon. But I was very surprised.

DonL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Again,
It was a Chase issued cashiers check, presented to a Chase bank.

If anyone should know what a Chase Cashiers check is, it would be a Chase bank.

How does anyone get arrested to trying to cash a banks check?

He had photo ID that he presented to the bank.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This sort of thing does not surprise me in the least.

Your police need to start checking stuff and need to be more accountable.

I am continually shocked by the unquestionable trust Americans put in their police.

Police shoot a guy and nobody bats an eyelid.

Crazy.

America needs to start asking the difficult questions and holding people accountable for their actions.

Like in England.

DonL

Reaction score
This sort of thing does not surprise me in the least.

Your police need to start checking stuff and need to be more accountable.

I am continually shocked by the unquestionable trust Americans put in their police.

Police shoot a guy and nobody bats an eyelid.

Crazy.

America needs to start asking the difficult questions and holding people accountable for their actions.

Like in England.

I have to agree with You Ian,

The Problem that we have here is that no one has the balls to stick up for themselves or others.

The IRS does direct deposit, and he may have got it, then tried to cash a check, that he already got credit for.

Like I said before, There is more to the story.

Why do they always pick on the black folks ?

DonL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you look at the letter from the attorney, It was a direct deposit to a Chase account that had been closed. So Chase took about $600 in back fees, which left about $8400

The check he was trying to cash, was their check.
The teller was too stupid to see that it was "their" check, so being very righteous, the teller studied the check for 24 hours and had him arrested when he came back.

24 hour to study one of their own cashiers checks, and they still can't figure it out.
How dumb are they at that bank? Frankly, it blows my mind. Send someone a check, and then when they try to cash it, arrest them.

And then to wait a year before the television investigation gets a two sentence apology for throwing him in jail, making him lose his construction job and lose the car he literally owned outright.

I hope the lawyer that took his case last week gets him a new car and gets his lost wages that he should have been able to earn had his car not been taken.

I'm waiting on pins and needles on this.

One time I sent a check to the IRS, and they lost it. It was a cashiers check from "my" bank.
My bank told me I was SOL. I said really? I have a carbon copy of the check right here, showing the amount and the date. I know you can look it up and provide me another check. Plus, If I can't prove to the IRS that a check had been written, there's going to be that problem too. They didn't want to look it up for me. At that point, I said maybe I should move my money into a different bank.

They did the look-up and printed me a replacement check.
Banks, what are they good for?

And by the way, my name sounds English, and they were still giving me crap.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Maybe he'll get that moron lawyer that he and those 12 cabbage heads on the "jury" let a baby killer out of jail as his rep. He'll make 10 million dollars. Like baby tot mom killer will make now too.

Welcome to America Ian!

We need ENGLISH juries.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
We do, and always have done, things much better in England.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Geez ballvalve, maybe I should have just said, "replace" the car he lost.
It was a 2000. But he only owed about $150 on it.

You don't think he should get lost wages for being thrown in jail for no reason?
I'm sure if they comped him for that, everyone would be happy.

If you don't mind throwing away a month or two, come on up and you can work for free here. I have some projects I could throw at you. I'll keep em real simple. I'll even pay for your hitch hiking to get here. I'm that generous.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Chase owes him some pain and suffering. Ever spent a weekend in jail? For the stupidity of a bank that charged him 600 bucks to cash a check?

Your hitch hiking bill will pretty tall, as I'll hit every Hilton hotel on the way up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks