Is new Bradford White water heater too old?

Users who are viewing this thread

VtaLady

Reaction score
My 50 gal Bradford White gas water heater was just 6 years old when it started leaking yesterday. I had it replaced under (10 year) warranty. The cost for intallation and parts was $843.00, (!!) including what I was told is an upgraded thermostat required by the state of California that cost over $400. In evaluating the model and serial numbers, I find that my "new" water heater was manufactured in Jan. 2005, and that my warrenty expiration date is April 30, 2015. I'm not real happy to find out that my new water heater is already six years old. In the FAQ on the Bradford White web site I found info that if I can prove date of installation (by producing receipt) I can receive warranteed services for the 10 year length of the warranty. Is all this okay?? or should I have been supplied with a more recently manufactured heater? What is my recourse?

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
The warranty will be the same that you had on the original tank. If it was 6 years old on a ten year warranty then you have 4 years left. When the plumber does the paper work at the wholesaler they send the info to Bradford White and they document it in their systems. It really doesn't matter when the tank was manufactured as there is no water in it to cause corrosion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How did you check the "date". As far as Bradford White is concerned, that heater WAS made in 2006, or whenever the original heater was made, because you only get the unexpired portion of the original warranty. It does NOT reset to the date of the replacement heater's date of manufacture. IF it has the I-con control, which you imply, and that is a completely different matter, then it was made within the past year or so. Give us the serial number and we will tell you the REAL date it was made, but that has absolutely nothing to do with your situation. I am not sure what they charged you for, because heater was free, and the $400.00 control is part of the heater, but I can install a "NEW" heater with "full" warranty for less than $843.00, and if it is a heater under warranty it will be a LOT less.

bradford-white-age-800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

VtaLady

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses....the heater's serial number is BA5781396. I entered this number in a section at the Bradford White web site addressing warranty issues and received the message that my heater was model MI5036FBN7-394, was manufactured on Jan. 31, 2005, has a 10 year warranty, which expires on April 30, 21015. Your comment about only getting the unexpired part of the warranty is logical...and, I imagine, correct. However, the technician who installed the water heater made a point of telling me I had a new 10 year warranty, transferrable to subsequent owners of my house. I imagine he did that just to appease my dismay at being told of the $843.00 cost for replacing my heater under warranty. The receipt included an "upgrade fee" of $443.00 that he indicated was for a thermostat required by the state of CA ("We don't make any money on this...we pay the same price to the state.") I just checked the new heater, and it has a Honeywell thermostat model #WV8860Q1000.
I don't know what an I-con control is, so am not able to comment on this.
I am pleased to hear that the actual age of the heater at the time of installation should not be an issue regarding performance.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you got screwed good and deep

I think you got a good stiff screwing...

the Ion control valve comes on the new heaters made by
bradford white....

Why would they have to put a new valve on a water heater
already in califronia?? It was bought and shipped to california
and should already comform to whatever specs they mandate
they are not forced to upgrade a heater no matter how old it is

the water heater was free to them,
whatever therostat that was on the heater should have been "grandfathered in"
because that goes with the age of the unit...

usually we will change one out for about 395.00..to 450..to o the warranty replacement...

I think I would complain about this to the BBB and Angies list....

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forums VtaLady,

Most warranty's are only good if you do not use or need them. Just like Insurance.

That is a good example that the warranty is not worth the paper that it was printed on.

It would have been cheaper to buy a new one with another worthless warranty.

"I am not sure what they charged you for, because heater was free, and the $400.00 control is part of the heater"
I agree.

You need a refund on at least part of your cost.

Or get your money back and buy a new one from another company.

But on the other hand You have hot water, and hopefully no leaks.

And to answer your question "Is new Bradford White water heater too old? "
It is probably built better than the ones built today...

Try to enjoy your day.

DonL

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; However, the technician who installed the water heater made a point of telling me I had a new 10 year warranty, transferrable to subsequent owners of my house.

That would only be true if the old heater did not have the FVIR feature, but if so, and if Bradford White was still allowing "upgrades" to it, then the "new" heater might have cost the $150.00 that BW charged, and the heater WOULD have had a complete new warranty, but it appears, from what BW told you, that that is not the case. Also, BW does NOT make 10 year heaters. They make 6 year heaters and someone has to buy the extended warranty for the extra four years. THAT warranty WILL be registered with BW, and you get a New nameplate with the 10 year designation. I am real curious where he got a heater that is 6 years old. 50 gallon heaters, which I assume this one is, are usually sold within weeks of arrival from the distributor.

quote; That is a good example that the warranty is not worth the paper that it was printed on.

Water heater warranties ARE worth the paper they are written on, or rather, since they do NOT require the paper, they are better than that.
Sometimes getting a replacement heater is a judgement call, because you will only get the remaining warranty, even if it is just a couple of weeks, and there are unique costs to a replacement, such as draining the heater and returning it to the distributor before you get the new heater, and paying a "paperwork" fee. These two items can add $200.00 to the "free heater's" cost, plus the actual installation.

If I do not have to "warranty" the heater, I can take one from my stock, to to the jobsite, move the heater out of the way, start it draining while I connect the new one, then make out the bill. Usually about an hour to two hours faster than getting the replacement.

Does the ORIGINAL invoice have the heater's model AND serial number on it to verify that it applies to YOUR heater?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks