Large diameter shower arm flange/escutcheon

Users who are viewing this thread

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I need a large outer diameter escutcheon (the flange that goes over the shower arm) to cover a hole that's bigger than the escutcheon provided.

The one provided is about 2 1/2" diameter. I need one about twice that big (it's a long story but it's my own fault). :rolleyes:

Are there any made that big? If so where do I buy one?
Is there something that I could put together that would work? I was think of maybe getting one that would normally be used for a shower valve and somehow use that.
The shower is white fiberglass so something white that I could glue/caulk on then put the original on would also work.

Any ideas and sources for purchase greatly appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know how large a city you live in. You might have to go to a larger dity and locate a plastic supply house. They can provide a piece of white acrylic of the proper diameter, and a hole for the arm. You could epoxy this to the fibreglass, then trim the arm with a standard escutcheon.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Fiberglass Repair

Drilled wrong huh? It might be easier to have a fiberglass repair company fix the hole. They're usually not that expensive. Glueing a patch of vinyl onto the unit might look like a patch. How come you use a cartoon character avatar on john bridges site but beer here?

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I haven't been able to figure out how to get my own avatar's on here.

I live in Denver so should be able to get the acrylic piece.

I did drill wrong but it had to do withe fiberglass shower insert not being that plumb or square. Next time I'm going to do a tile shower.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Hey Terry

Can you give jd the avatar he has on john bridges site or tell him how? And jd I haven't been mounting shower arms in shower units for years. They're usually too low. You can also install a white sink hole cover like we use to blank off a hole in a kitchen sink.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the avatar, now I'm Homer here too. We share the same hairline although I'm only forty.

I did get a little plastic shop (lots of them around Denver) to cut me a nice white acrylic hole cover (I don't know what else to call it) and it doesn't look too bad with the supplied escutcheon. Good deal at $6.75.

I did mount the shower arm higher than most at about 75" from the floor of the shower, I don't like bending down to wash the skin on my head (get it: no hair). The shower I bought was the "tall" version, otherwise I would have had the arm coming out of the wall to avoid the low shower head.

Like I've said not sure I'd do the fiberglass insert again, didn't save much time, effort, or money. It looks fine but tile would be more value on resale too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks