Replace pump vs drill new.. (long)

Users who are viewing this thread

bradev

Reaction score
my first post so here goes

house is 70 years. well is 85 feet, with pvc sleeved inside 4" steel casing. current pump is 1/2 hp, pvc and pump went in about ten years ago. Well room (tank, electric box) is in a "kickout", ie in basement, with concrete slab at grade. (ie no longer code)

Pump is only pulling three gallons per minute. Twice the last week we lost water flow: pump was running but water not coming up to tank. turned off for an hour and now back to "normal". With a garden sprinkler on low to medium, the pumps holds at 50 (set up is 40/60)

My well guy is concerned that pulling the pump will disturb all the gunk at the bottom (high iron + steel casing/screens) and then I will have the cost of all that labor and still need to drill a new well.

He also has concern that IF the replacement option does lead to full failure, ie no water at all, then I still need a permit, still need schedule and it could be 1-2 weeks for the "unplanned" job etc...

We have an iron remover as well as a 5 um inline filter right after the storage tank. That filter could be cleaned every 3-4 days we have so much iron..

He also has concern that IF the replacement option does lead to full failure, ie no water at all, then I still need a permit, still need schedule and it could be 1-2 weeks for the "unplanned" job etc...

I realize no one can say for sure but I curious as to opinions around throwing money at a 70(?) year old steel sleeved well in a basement kickout vs drilling new and then joining the new supply to the current tank.

Thanks for reading

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You are still probably going to need a new pump. I would put a new pump in the old well and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, you can limp along with it until you get another well drilled, then move the pump. Your local driller is probably your best source of info on the old well condition.

bradev

Reaction score
Thanks - a new pump is a given.

The downside to "new pump only" is that the labor part
is all for nothing IF the old well still doesnt deliver
even with the new pump.

Also, access to the current location is a pain with basement
kickout and trees etc on the outside. so that labor part
would be more than for an above grade access without
restrictions..

bradev

Reaction score
hmm, hadnt thought of that.

the rub is that i dont know exactly what the root cause is:
pump only
pump + casing + whatever is going on at bottom of the well.

also, drilling in the current location wont be easy: bsmt kickout, close to house, lots of tree etc.

on the "replace pump only" option i guess that would be to pull up the 80 ft of 1" PVC drop pipe,
pull the pump, replace pump, put it back together, chlorinate etc.

thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Labor for 80' shouldn't be much. And you would have to wait for the new well to be drilled anyway? Just saying! Probably couldn't redrill with old steel in the well anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks