Deep well pump pressure tank question

Users who are viewing this thread

Marty53

Reaction score
Was up at fiance's family summer camp this weekend and noticed their well pump was cycling way to fast (every 15 seconds or so with water running) and knew this wasn't right. Pressure held fine on gauge when water was off.

I'm pretty sure I have a waterlogged pressure tank, and I have read up on how to attempt to repressurize the tank. I have read conflicting information on how much pressure to pump into the tank however. On the sticky in this forum it says to pressurize to within 2 to 10 PSI of the start pressure (20/40 control) so this would be 18psi. The pressure tank is a Goulds V60MP 20 gallon. On the spec sheet for this tank it says the tank is pre-pressurized to 38 PSI. Whats the correct PSI to pump this thing to once I drain it?

Also, tank and pump are pretty well corroded, especially on the little outlet leg of the pressure tank. Obviously this isn't great, but how long do ya'll think this system will hold up if repressurizing solves the problem?

Any help appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Tank is probably a gonner. The bladder in that brand just doesn't last IMO. Looks like condensation is getting everything wet. That will mess up your pressure switch, motor, and anything else electrical in the room. You need a vent or two and a fan to keep out the condensation. Those tanks come with 38 PSI, but if you have a 20/40 switch, you have to let out all but 18 PSI of the air.

Marty53

Reaction score
Thanks much for the info valveman. It is real wet down there. I think the setup is around 15 yrs old, and electrics outlasted mechanics. There isn't any real good way to vent the small basement other than a dehumidifier probably.

Its a strange tank/pump setup because the outlet of the tank is on the top. All the info I've seen online about these types of pressure tanks show a bottom outlet. I sourced a direct replacement tank thru a buddy of mine that works for a plumbing supply place for $230--so that's not too bad lets just hope the pump doesn't fry before I can replace. Will try to pump the bladder up first this weekend though.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That pump can sit on the floor just fine. You would just need to plumb a pipe back up the the house supply line. No need to mount the pump on the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks