replacing bath fan

Users who are viewing this thread

arrow

Reaction score
My current bath fan generates a lot of noise and I figured that the motor inside is not tight to the frame. I want to replace the bath fan. From a brief research, I think I have to go up to attic and replace the fan from there. I measured the fan (7 1/2 x 9 1/4) but could not find same size of the fan. Should I cut ceiling and fill the gab with something? Please give me some idea how it is done normally.
Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some fans are just noisey.

Fans come with sound ratings measured in Sones.

A typical fan is 3.5 to 4.5 sones

80 CFM
Sones 0.4

A Panasonic fan my be 0.6 sones to 1.0 sones. It's hard to hear a Panasonic when it's on.

The Panasonic can be installed from below making it a good replacement fan.

Last edited:

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You may want to take time to look at the fan blades. They can collect dust, hairspray, etc , and become out of balance which will cause vibration. Also, sometimes a balancing weight will rust and fall off which puts the blades out of balance. Or, it could be the motor bearings going, or a loose mount like you suggested.

As far a replacing, each installation can be different. Sometimes it can be easier to work from above, but depending on how it is mounted and how the hole has to be modified, it can be done from below.

Paul

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The fans I am familiar with can be mounted from below. There is a metal box that attaches to the rafters after the wires are pulled through. The size of the boxes might vary a tad, but those I have seen will fit between standard rafter spacing. I use a drill driver and screws on virtually all this type of work. Screws are easier to drive in and if you do mess up and have to reposition something, they are much easier to remove without damaging anything. If you do have to replace the fan, it should be a pretty straight forward job.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I just replaced a bathroom exhaust fan, not real difficult if you have access from above. Probably not terribly difficult if you do it from below. Get a fan with the same or larger ceiling opening. The bezel/trim piece will cover the rough cut opening in the ceiling drywall.

A

alhurley

arrow said:
My current bath fan generates a lot of noise.....
what kind of noise? wind noise? vibration noise? bearing noise? rattles? like the guys said - some fans are just plain noisy.

hrsnblm

Reaction score
If you decide to replace the fan and want to look into an almost "noiseless' replacement, look into in-line fans. I did this a couple of years ago and there is no noise except for the sound of air being drawn out of the room.. I love it.

And I am feeding the in-line fan from two different bathrooms. So I have one fan, but two ducts. I used a 4" duct and my only regret is that I didn't go with 5".

Howard

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I put a Panasonic fan in my bathroom a couple years ago. It is the quietest fan I've ever heard and moves a lot of air -- it can actually pull a door which is slightly ajar open from the power of the air movement.

The other thing I like about the Panasonic is that it is approved for vertical mounting, as well as horizontal. That was important to me as the only place I could mount it was on a wall (due to a cathedral ceiling).

BostonGal

Reaction score
a word about the Panasonic, though

We bought a Panasonic heat/vent/light - large size - and had it installed between the tub and vanity - the electrician had quite a time installing it, as it is cumbersome and unwieldy.

The heat doesn't seem to work well, and the light is too dim.

Bostongal

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Considering that the light has two tubes in it for lighting, you must need quite a bit of light.
Is that the only light you have in the bathroom?

brianj

Reaction score
I just replaced my bathroom fan I installed last year. Nautillus or something like that...with a Hunter.

I paid around $120 for it, but it's a nice fan. Well constructed, not too loud. Nice big motor. The night light is an interesting feature too if you get up in the middle of the night and don't want to blind yourself.

I liked the style too

HUN_90063.jpg

* Bathroom fan with light and nightlight
* Bent frosted glass mounted to a durable, all-metal housing with matching accents
* Glass can easily be detached for cleaning and relamping
* Pre-loaded screws
* 24-inch adjustable slider bars
* Square Foot Coverage: 95 sq. ft.
* CFM: 100
* Sones: 2.4
* Finish: Satin White
* Bulb Type: 2-A15 60 Watt Standard; 1-C7 7 Watt Nightlight
* Required Opening: 9 in. x 9.75 in.
* Housing Size: 8.9 in. x 9.7 in. x 7.4 in.
* Cover Size: 12 in. x 12 in.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
I have the "same" two Nautilus bathroom exhaust fan/lights that I installed when I built in 1977. Sort of. About the only thing "original" are the fixture boxes and vent pipes.
I just replace the motors, blower wheels and other parts as necessary. MUCH faster, easier and less expensive than full replacement to me.
Coincidentally just replaced the motor and blower wheel last week in my upstairs bath. Zippity Do Da. No clue what the sones are with the new motor, but it's quieter than the one that I replaced.
Mike

Katerlyn

Reaction score
replacing fan

How difficult would it be, then, to replace a nautilus exhaust light fan? I would really prefer to have a heater, too...My present nautilus exterior size is about 9.25x10 inches.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are asking which will last longer...it is probably a wash. As to which will be quieter, most Panasonics will be quieter than most Broans. You need to check the individual specs for the ones you are interested in. So, best is relative to what is most important to you and your pocketbook.

Rerod

Reaction score
I dont like a noisy fan either. But whats worse it having to replace the fan because parts are no longer available. I have 30 year old Broan-NuTone which are noisy. But work great with a squirrel cage blower wheel. I dont think squirrel cage fans are available any longer. Problem is ,that I cant find the squirrel cage blower wheel for a reasonable price now and need to replace them.

Which fan company would offer parts for the longest do you think. Iv been told Broan-NuTone.

One other thing. It maybe code in most places now. But make sure bath fans are vented out of the roof and not out of the soffit or into the attic. I replaced all my roof plywood on the southern side of my house last year and the ply right above the un vented fans was the worst. Moisture in the attic is not good.

TPA

Reaction score
Panasonic all-the-way. I've been spec'ing them for bathroom and other ventillation needs (kitchen, laundry, fresh air) for the past couple of years and they've not failed to impress. Nearly dead-silent, and they're rated for continuous use, which I've yet to see any Broan/Nutone claim. In the one location, we've been using the Panasonic fan to draw fresh air into an electrical room, which it's been doing silently 24/7 for the past 3 years without fail. They also use 1/10th the electricity of what the comparable Broan/Nutone fans use, which should give you an idea of their engineering.

The only people I see thinking Broan/Nutone fans are any good are electricians who've not used the Panasonic fans. Shop around online for Panasonic fans... the prices on them are actually right in-line with the so-called "quiet" Broan/Nutone products, but the engineering on the Pannys is years ahead of the others.

Last edited:

Rerod

Reaction score
Funny I havent replaced mine yet. They just keep running. But looking for parts for a panasonic fan brought me to this thread.

Long story short. Panasonic wants $50 to send the poor guy a knob that was missing to begin with..

What a crock!

Last edited by a moderator:

osx-addict

Software Engineer
Reaction score
I've heard good things about the panasonics (yes, I realize this thread is very dated), but may opt for the FanTech stuff as it might be a good way to consolidate a few fans in the same part of the house.. Our kids bathroom has a NuTone fan that just can't keep up -- the kids shower and the mirrors fog up within minutes even with the fan on.. I think the electrician picked too wimpy a fan for our bathrooms.. Time to rectify that..:cool:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well if the gap can be filled, then you should definitely do it, but for that you should take a help of the professional. You should not do it yourself because if something goes wrong that you might have to face the consequences.
Wot? What? Watchu talkin' bout?:confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks