(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: replacing bath fan

I dont like a noisy fan either. But whats worse it having to replace the fan because parts are no longer available. I have 30 year old Broan-NuTone which are noisy. But work great with a squirrel cage blower wheel. I dont think squirrel cage fans are available any longer. Problem is ,that I cant find the squirrel cage blower wheel for a reasonable price now and need to replace them.

Which fan company would offer parts for the longest do you think. Iv been told Broan-NuTone.

One other thing. It maybe code in most places now. But make sure bath fans are vented out of the roof and not out of the soffit or into the attic. I replaced all my roof plywood on the southern side of my house last year and the ply right above the un vented fans was the worst. Moisture in the attic is not good.

Panasonic all-the-way. I've been spec'ing them for bathroom and other ventillation needs (kitchen, laundry, fresh air) for the past couple of years and they've not failed to impress. Nearly dead-silent, and they're rated for continuous use, which I've yet to see any Broan/Nutone claim. In the one location, we've been using the Panasonic fan to draw fresh air into an electrical room, which it's been doing silently 24/7 for the past 3 years without fail. They also use 1/10th the electricity of what the comparable Broan/Nutone fans use, which should give you an idea of their engineering.

The only people I see thinking Broan/Nutone fans are any good are electricians who've not used the Panasonic fans. Shop around online for Panasonic fans... the prices on them are actually right in-line with the so-called "quiet" Broan/Nutone products, but the engineering on the Pannys is years ahead of the others.
    Last edited by TPA; 11-24-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Funny I havent replaced mine yet. They just keep running. But looking for parts for a panasonic fan brought me to this thread.

Long story short. Panasonic wants $50 to send the poor guy a knob that was missing to begin with..

What a crock!
    Last edited by Terry; 07-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.

I've heard good things about the panasonics (yes, I realize this thread is very dated), but may opt for the FanTech stuff as it might be a good way to consolidate a few fans in the same part of the house.. Our kids bathroom has a NuTone fan that just can't keep up -- the kids shower and the mirrors fog up within minutes even with the fan on.. I think the electrician picked too wimpy a fan for our bathrooms.. Time to rectify that..

Quote Originally Posted by carlwatson View Post
    Well if the gap can be filled, then you should definitely do it, but for that you should take a help of the professional. You should not do it yourself because if something goes wrong that you might have to face the consequences.
    Wot? What? Watchu talkin' bout?
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator