(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: replacing bath fan

Hybrid View

Default replacing bath fan

My current bath fan generates a lot of noise and I figured that the motor inside is not tight to the frame. I want to replace the bath fan. From a brief research, I think I have to go up to attic and replace the fan from there. I measured the fan (7 1/2 x 9 1/4) but could not find same size of the fan. Should I cut ceiling and fill the gab with something? Please give me some idea how it is done normally.
    Thanks.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some fans are just noisey.

Fans come with sound ratings measured in Sones.

A typical fan is 3.5 to 4.5 sones

80 CFM
    Sones 0.4

A Panasonic fan my be 0.6 sones to 1.0 sones. It's hard to hear a Panasonic when it's on.

The Panasonic can be installed from below making it a good replacement fan.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-23-2005 at 08:10 AM.

You may want to take time to look at the fan blades. They can collect dust, hairspray, etc , and become out of balance which will cause vibration. Also, sometimes a balancing weight will rust and fall off which puts the blades out of balance. Or, it could be the motor bearings going, or a loose mount like you suggested.

As far a replacing, each installation can be different. Sometimes it can be easier to work from above, but depending on how it is mounted and how the hole has to be modified, it can be done from below.

Paul

The fans I am familiar with can be mounted from below. There is a metal box that attaches to the rafters after the wires are pulled through. The size of the boxes might vary a tad, but those I have seen will fit between standard rafter spacing. I use a drill driver and screws on virtually all this type of work. Screws are easier to drive in and if you do mess up and have to reposition something, they are much easier to remove without damaging anything. If you do have to replace the fan, it should be a pretty straight forward job.

I just replaced a bathroom exhaust fan, not real difficult if you have access from above. Probably not terribly difficult if you do it from below. Get a fan with the same or larger ceiling opening. The bezel/trim piece will cover the rough cut opening in the ceiling drywall.

alhurley

Quote Originally Posted by arrow
    My current bath fan generates a lot of noise.....
    what kind of noise? wind noise? vibration noise? bearing noise? rattles? like the guys said - some fans are just plain noisy.

If you decide to replace the fan and want to look into an almost "noiseless' replacement, look into in-line fans. I did this a couple of years ago and there is no noise except for the sound of air being drawn out of the room.. I love it.

And I am feeding the in-line fan from two different bathrooms. So I have one fan, but two ducts. I used a 4" duct and my only regret is that I didn't go with 5".

Howard

I put a Panasonic fan in my bathroom a couple years ago. It is the quietest fan I've ever heard and moves a lot of air -- it can actually pull a door which is slightly ajar open from the power of the air movement.

The other thing I like about the Panasonic is that it is approved for vertical mounting, as well as horizontal. That was important to me as the only place I could mount it was on a wall (due to a cathedral ceiling).

Default a word about the Panasonic, though

We bought a Panasonic heat/vent/light - large size - and had it installed between the tub and vanity - the electrician had quite a time installing it, as it is cumbersome and unwieldy.

The heat doesn't seem to work well, and the light is too dim.

Bostongal

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Considering that the light has two tubes in it for lighting, you must need quite a bit of light.
    Is that the only light you have in the bathroom?