well pump pulsing ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhoni T

Reaction score
ok I have read a few post about this. I assume my pump has a bladder, due to the pressure value on the tank. In the last week I have noticed that the water is pulsing every where, toilets, sinks, shower and even in the barn and outside faucets. So this is an all over problem, the water never stops running just pulsing.
There is a box on the pump that has 2 contacts one turns the tank off/on at a certain pressure, the other contact turns the tank on at a certain pressure. That makes no sense.
the tank looks new I know that it is about 6-7 yrs old, I have no idea what kind it is. the wellhouse is a little house, insulated with a cement floor with roof and insulated door. I say that because there is a lot of wellhouses/well caps in this area that people just stack hay bales around with a big plastic cap over the well itself. In the last 2 yrs we have added a fuse box for the new barn and ran water to barn, in the last month we ran a new bracker to a new electrical outlet for electric fence/ yard pond pump, but neither has yet to be running off electrical line yet. So bracker is off. The problem started a few weeks after running the new line. This shouldn't have anything to due with the water pulsing, but I am giving you all the facts.
One more fact: if we are running water in the house and someone turns on an outside faucet it will shut the water off in the house. It will come back on in a few moments. (not a big deal unless you are the one in the shower). This has been happening ever since we have lived here, working on our 6th yr.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, Rhoni

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Your description make no sense to me. The pressure switch turns the pump on and off, not the tank. If the pump is turning on and off repeatedly it will cycle itself to death. Sounds like a bad bladder tank or a waterlogged tank.

Rhoni T

Reaction score
water logged ??? what does that mean

if it is the bladder am i gonna have to buy a new tank or can i replace the bladder

ok the box is on the tank NOT the pump the pump is underground, opps

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Waterlogged means the tank has too little air. Without seeing the tank, I cannot say if it has a replaceable bladder. Is it a painted metal tank, galvanized, or fiberglass?

Rhoni T

Reaction score
It is painted galvanized, its blue< it has a air pressure valve, so I am gonna guess it has a bladder. so I need to see what kind it is and check whether or not it has a replaceable bladder? What other information do I need to check for?

My husband and I will be replacing whatever it needs by ourselves, we live out in the middle of no-mans-land. From past experience in needing a serviceman to repair my stove it was cheaper to buy a new one then to pay for someone to drive this for out. The price we pay for living so far out, out weights the price of a serviceman.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The first thing you should do is to turn off the pump breaker. Then drain the tank and check the pressure at the air valve. If the pressure is much less than the pump kick-in, the bladder leaked. Pump some air in it and see if it holds the pressure.

If it has a replacable bladder, it would have a large bolt on flange. If there is no visible way to open up the tank then it probably doesn't have a replaceable bladder.

If the tank looks like new, it should have a brand label with model info.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I'm an Okie originally from Enid. To save your pump I recommend that you turn off the power to the pump and replace the tank with a like size tank before you burn out the pump. Better yet purchase a Pside-Kick http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/pdf/psidekick-brochure.pdf . With a Pside-Kick you will receive a complete kit and simple instructions. A Pside-Kick will prevent your pump from cycling while giving you constant pressure while taking a shower. Any Okie can install it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks