Submersible pump humming

Users who are viewing this thread

kplank

Reaction score
I have a 1 hp Myers Rustler pump set at 40' in a 45' well. Static water is at 19'. 1 inch 60 lb plastic Cycle Stop Valve in the drop pipe. 1 inch poly pipe to the house. Ridged copper throughout the house.
Every time the pump runs, there is a fairly pronounced humming sound that gets transmitted through the pipes in the house. I have changed the metal straps holding the copper to plastic hangers. This helped a little, but not much.
Is there anything I can plumb either before or after the bladder tank that would help cut back this noise?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That is a two wire pump I do believe, and that pump has a run Capacitor built into it.

You may want to check that it is good. there is a reason that it is humming.

How old is it ? And did it always do this ?

Have a good day.

DonL

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes the length of drop pipe is perfectly tuned to the resonance frequency of the pump. Shortening or lengthing the drop pipe a foot or two will usually make it go away. An easier fix would be to use a short piece of 1" high pressure hose to splice between the well pipe and the copper.

kplank

Reaction score
It has always hummed...

At least as long as we have lived here (three years). The pump is 3 wire - control box with the capacitor in the house.
I guess I'm not familiar with the type of "high pressure hose" I would plumb in between the pump and the copper. Right now black poly from the well, transitions to PVC at and around the tank, which transitions to copper to the house. Where do you get "high pressure hose", and where would I put it?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I deliberately strapped a loop of the poly from the well to the underside of my floor joists so that I can hear when the pump is running. The plan was to replace the metal pipe strapping with rubber bungee cords one at a time to tune down the sound to a barely audible level but I never did.

Gritres

Reaction score
one likes to hear their hard work working
i'm curious too though what type of high pressure hose you'd recommend to dampen the sound that is good for potable applications

Behrens88

Reaction score
Humming is good.

I have had two pumps in my well since I have lived in my house for 10 years and both have always hummed. The newest is a 1 horse 20 GPM Areomotor that hummed out of the box. I just learned to get over it and it lets me know my pump works I guess.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Most hardware stores have 150 psi braided clear vinyl hose. I have some running at 100 psi for 10 years with no decay.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/cleartubing.html

Best thing around the pump house. Quick install, quick fix and a visual of the water.

And HUMMING is not good. Usually a sign of an issue. A run capacitor might help.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks