Old Moentrol - Which Cartridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

jwcrim

Reaction score
We built a house in 1976 and put in a shower with a Moen single knob hot/cold control valve. The escutcheon has Moentrol stamped on it.

Taking off the escutcheon plate the valve appears to be fully symmetrical left to right with a large slotted face (balancing spool?) located right above the knob axis on the vertical centerline.

The unit works OK but it's getting pretty hard to push/pull the knob. I see that later models use Model 1200 and 1225 cartridges. I haven't tried to take it apart. Assuming this thing has a cartridge, which model cartridge would it be?

Any advice appreciated.

moentrol_trim_old.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
CARTRIDGE.GIF

The original cartridge is probably a 1200, all brass. But the plastic 1225 is interchangeable with the 1200.

moentrol-exploded.jpg

moen-1200-1225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jwcrim

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the information. I ran across these notes for pulling the 1200 out:

"To remove an old corroded Moen brass shower cartridge when all else fails, pull the center out of the cartridge with a pair of pliers or vice grips. Run a 1/2 tap in the cartridge and remove tap. Place a 1 and 3/4 inch long wooden dowel in the cartridge and run the tap in until the cartridge frees up. This took more turns on the tap than I expected but it worked. Clean the valve body with a tooth brush and white vinegar and flush out the brass filings by turning the water on for a second before replacing the new cartridge. I neglected this last part and the shower head filled with filings."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks