I dont know What backflow preventer to buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Innerbeast101

Reaction score
I was wondering if i need a backflow with a vent or not the old one was leaking and i suggested we replace it everything is old and everyone is always trying to save but i like the comfort of new stuff but i thought the bfp was dirty or maybe a washer inside im no expert with them but do i need a vented bfp.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
What type of application are you using it for? If the existing one is a RPZ (vented device) then chances are it should be replaced with the same device. Most commercial properties require vented devices. The type of device is dependent on the severity of the risk to backflow.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It depends on what the application is. Most BFPs and ALL vacuum breakers have a "vent" of some kind. But whether you can use an atmospheric one, a "pressure vacuum breaker", a "double check", or need an RPPBFP depends on the local requirements as well a the application.

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
It depends on what the application is. Most BFPs and ALL vacuum breakers have a "vent" of some kind. But whether you can use an atmospheric one, a "pressure vacuum breaker", a "double check", or need an RPPBFP depends on the local requirements as well a the application.

There is no vent on a DBL check.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A double check is NOT a vacuum breaker, but the Watts 9D double check DOES have a vent on it. And I did say "most", not "all" double checks, since fire sprinkler systems use unvented double check valves.

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
The Watts 9d is not a DBL check it is a daul check, which in my area is not allowed as it can't be tested.

John

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
At this point we don't know enough to be much help. Need to know what the application is. Somehow we are focusing on a Watts 9D but I have not read anything from the OP that confirms that. Generally though, if it is a backflow preventer, most of them can be rebuilt fairly inexpensivly however, before rebuilding or replacing it would be a good idea to find out if the device is just doing it's job. Probably 80% or better of the BFP and RPZ devices that we are called on to repair/replace are leaking because there is a backflow situation. The other thing to keep in mind is that if you rebuild the BFP without the proper test equipment you have no idea if you have done the job right or solved the issue.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Watts 9d is not a DBL check it is a daul check

In my dictionary and thesaurus, DUAL, (not daul), MEANS "two" which is a synonym for double. We have absolutely NO IDEA what make or model BFP they are referring to. Here, the 9D is frequently used for the water supply to swimming pools.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo, you saved me the trouble.

Anyone having backlow questions should log on to watts.com and peruse the literature and training videos they have there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks