New Well

Users who are viewing this thread

JReyn

Reaction score
Wow, I am happy I ran across this forum,very nice and nice members.
I am planning a 2 inch galvanized pipe well with a 3 foot point.
I live about 300 yards from a very large bayou that runs thru our parish (county) here in Northern Louisiana. I have no doubts I will hit water somewhere around 15 foot probably sooner, I will have availabe 30 foot of pipe,plus the point.
I have talked to a couple well drillers and they politely arent helpful, they did tell me what I already supposed, I would hit water anywhere between 10 to 15 feet.
I want to use this to hook to my current sprinkler system, the largest section having 4 hunter heads, the other three sections only have three heads.
My problem is what pump to use. I have a retired gas well driller,thats drilled wells all over the world, and water wells also, helping me. However he isnt familiar with a correct pump size/type for what we are doing.
I would appreciate any help with a pump. I am guessing a jet pump.
Thanks,
John

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
Are you currently connected to a metered water system? If so you may be able to estimate the water flow while the sprinkler is running. Most sprinkler heads are also rated by gallons per minute. A little homework may get you your answer that way.

You will probably want about 50 psi pressure to make the system work well. Once the flow and pressure is established the pump selection is fairly easy. With a 2" well, you will use a jet pump. I am not sure whether or not in your area the jets are installed in the well or suction is applied directly to the the well.

Gritres

Reaction score
unless you hit some unusually good strata i wouldnt expect to power 4 rotary sprinklers
the drillers probably use johnson PVC wrapped 10 foot screens which will be far superior to any 3 foot metal screen. i tried a 2 inch galv screen and ended up trashing it to replace it with them.

the other issue is that deeper isn't always better. due to sand types you can end up getting way better flow when you're only in the 20-30 foot range especially in the southeast. it all just depends though and varies greatly place to place.

good luck man, you're in for an adventure.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, this can all be figured out if you know the capacity of the sprinkler heads as well as the friction loss of the total piping system. However, I suspect that what you want to do will not happen with a single driven point.

JReyn

Reaction score
Ive thought of that, and looked at the requirements for the Hunter PGP heads. After talking again with my friend thats gonna help me, hes gonna determine what pump to use after he sees how much water comes up the pipe and how fast it refills after its pumped out.
He seems to think its gonna work,giving my location. But, he also thinks its gonna have iron in it. I will just have to rework my sprinklers this winter so they want hit the house or any structures. Think I will keep my bed sprinklers on the old system, and use the rotaries on the pump.
We are planning on doing this next week since I have that week scheduled for vacation. Ill let you know how it turns out.
John

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
After talking again with my friend thats gonna help me, hes gonna determine what pump to use after he sees how much water comes up the pipe and how fast it refills after its pumped out.
You've got to be joking. Do you really think he can determine how much the well can produce by looking down a 2 inch pipe?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can only size a pump to match the sprinklers if the well makes enough to do that. Otherwise you have to size the pump to match the production of the well, then make the sprinklers match the pump.

JReyn

Reaction score
No,no joke, Im serious, however I dont recall and went back and reread what I posted, stating anything about him just looking down the pipe.
The guy helping me is very experienced drilling wells.
We have a lot of water underground here. He tells me he has a pump at his disposal,to use on the well, once well is down, to see what the production will be.
Hes just not sure what pump and size to use yet. Probably a jet pump.
He tells me I may use one zone for whatever time it takes to draw the well down or maybe two zones and have to let the well refill. He says, with the available water in my area, I should have no problems.
What do you think?
John

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to know the capacity of the heads first (volume & pressure) then you size the pump to the capacity figuring in the length of the supply piping ( which will give you the diameter of the supply piping ) and then drive enough points to meet the capacity. doing it bass ackwards will waste a lot of time effort and money because you are just guessing. I still doubt like hell that you can drive those heads with a single 2" point but if you choose to go forge ahead and it works out for you, you are free to tell me I told you so.

JReyn

Reaction score
Ok, you guys talked me right out of doing this. Which is probably good and Ill save some money from a huge mistake.
Thanks,
John

Gritres

Reaction score
you can get a driller to put in a 30 foot 2" shallow well with a nice long 10 foot screen for probably around $700 max which should do what you want without much hassle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks