Check Valve on Hose Line

Users who are viewing this thread

GoDillos

Reaction score
I'm about to install a new hose bib and want to use the 1/4 turn variety. However, I can't find any 1/4 turn valves with integrated backflow prevention. Can I just use add a normal check valve to the copper branch? Or, do I have to use an anti-siphon attachment specifically designed for hose bibs?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

GoDillos

Reaction score
Hmmm ... are there any in line options I can use? I think those vacuum breakers that screw on to the bibbs look ridiculous.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure why you want a 1/4 turn on a hose bib. Usually we like to be able to throttle the water down with a conventional valve. !/4 turn valves are great for those applications where you want either full on or full off. Of course I know all the neighbor will come around a laugh at the ridiculous vacuum breaker on a regular hose bib.

GoDillos

Reaction score
I've successfully modulated flow with a 1/4 turn valve - just takes a little more finesse. With my pathetic water pressure, that's not going to be an issue anyway. And with the 2 seconds I save each time I turn on or off the hose with only a quarter turn, I'll have plenty of time to worry about how silly the vacuum breaker looks.

In all seriousness, should I take the lack of responses to mean there are no in line options?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This is a quarter turn with vacuum breaker.

legend_hosebib.jpg

Last edited:

GoDillos

Reaction score
Sweet Terry. I don't know how I missed that. Since I'm in California (as you can tell by the nice flag you gave me,) the frost free is completely unnecessary, but it may be the best option I'm going to get.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They usually make "non" frostfree versions also. I have NEVER had anyone tell me that the hose faucet vacuum breaker "looks silly". In fact most people do not even know it is not part of the faucet, (but then some versions ARE a part of the faucet but look the same way). When it fails, a "screw on" vacuum breaker is easier to replace, than trying to find repair parts for an integral one.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
If you don't like the look of the vacuum breaker, take a look at the arrow-breaker bibs from Arrowhead Brass. These aren't 1/4 turn, but might be something that might work for you.

Frost-free:
460-series_31_cat.jpg

Standard:
265SW__365SW_cat.jpg

GoDillos

Reaction score
Alright guys - Thanks for the options. I think I need to quit over-complicating it and just use the screw on adapter.

I'd think there would be a market for non-frost proof quarter turn hose bibb with integrated backflow preventer, but what do I know? Something like this with a vacuum breaker.

[h=1]Industrial Grade 1APV7 Quarter Turn Hose Bibb, Standard, 1/2 In M[/h]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Moen makes a push pull hose bib similar to a sink valve. You can get it in a hot/cold mixing valve and turn it to adjust the temp. Quicker even than a 1/4-turn!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Something like this with a vacuum breaker.

I like that they call it "industrial grade" since it looks like something you would buy at a "Dollar Store".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks