(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how many fixtures on a 3" vent stack?

I've been living on the same planet that you have and fortunately I also live in a country where many many diseases have all but been eliminated thanks to modern sanitary plumbing practice. Furthermore I have been fortunate to have been involved in the trade for closing in on 30 years and my father before me was a licensed master for his entire adult life. If unlicensed, unskilled homeowners and handymen want to extoll the virtues of AAV's I suppose that that is to be expected because after all the fast easy way is always the best way yes?

AAV's fail on a regular basis and when the do they allow POISIONOUS sewer gas into the home. A properly designed plumbing system will NEVER allow that to happen and the only reason the damn things are allowed is because the manufacturers and distributors saw a way to make some money so they greased some corrupt palms and got their wish. I have never EVER had to install an AAV in 37 years of plumbing and I damn well am not about to start now. Furthermore anybody that works for me is looking at a pink slip if I catch them using one. And by the way I have NEVER had to tell a customer that the job could not be done either.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    In new construction, I can plumb a system with vents that will cost less then I would have spent using AAV's.
    A little bit of ABS pipe may be a few bucks and the AAV costs about $30 and needs to be installed at trim. Just one more thing to bring to the job. I don't like AAVs, for many reasons.

What planet are you on?
    The Oatley AAV's I see here are about $3.50.... If they make a 30$ one it might actually last 60 years.

Oatley AAV's are not code approved, that's why they are only 3 bucks. All that POS is, is a rubber flap and a weak spring.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Plumbers have to use code approved parts.