Help installing a well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Marshes

Reaction score
My partner and I are about to place a 1 HP pump down our 8" well casing. It's about 200' to water and 350' to bottom. Due to droughts in the past we want to put the pump deep (say 20' off the bottom) in case the water table drops in the future. The pipe is 1" dia black poly (?).

Our concern is the weight and how to control it as we lower it down. We intend to use rope and we have these nice poly rings that hold pipe, wire and rope and centered on the well casing. We were told to place one every 20' or so. We're thinking of locating the bucket to our tractor about 4 ft in the air directly above the casing (turning the bucket down and placing a blanket on it to make the edge smooth and soft), and then draping the pump, pipe, wire and rope over this to control things as we lower down. That way the pump, wire, and rope will be vertical as it lowers down. My job will be to put the spacers on every twenty feet or so. If we stretch out the pipe, wire and rope for 240' on the ground before we start, won't there be a lot of resistance at first? I'm envisioning having to pull the pipe and wire toward the well to make it lower down until the weight going down exceeds the friction/resistance of the pipe and wire on the ground. Does any of this make sense? Can anyone suggest a better way and/or offer advice?

Other questions:

1. The torque arrestor is such a flimsy rubber thing. I expected something different. How much clearance should we allow between it and the casing?

2. I read that one should NOT use a torch to expand the black pipe to fit it on to the pipe nipple because it will make the pipe brittle. The article said to use hot water (65 C) instead. Is this important? I've always used a torch before, but I've only worked with shallow, cattle watering systems.

3. Any other advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Put your spacers and everything else together on the ground. You do not need a torque arrestor. Some will say no spacers either.

330' of ready built pipe can be simply slipped into the well with a few grunts and good gloves. Done it many times. Once you hit water, the weight disappears.

If you use a safety rope, one guy can wrap that around the bucket and use it to take a pause from the drop and for back-up for a slip up.

NO TORCH, per all the MFGRS. instructions. bring your stove and get some hot water going.

Use usa made clamps and brass or ss fittings with three clamps per. look for torque rated

clamps.http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/IDEAL-Hose-Clamp-2W402?Pid=search

Scotch 33 tape ONLY.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Try not to let the pump, pipe, and wire touch the ground as you may introduce bacteria to the well. The blanket on the back of the bucket won't stay in place. Build a platform above the well casing so that your hands stay well above the top of the casing and as ballvalve said, two pairs of well gloved hands on the pipe will do it. A third pair of hands on the rope draped over the bucket could give you some respite. The third person could also wash down the pipe and wire with a bleach solution.

Most nay-sayers to torque arrestors and stand-offs oppose them as being at risk of becoming a tight fit but with an 8 inch casing there is very little risk of that and the benefits outweigh said risks.

Marshes

Reaction score
Thanks for advice on installing well pump. A couple of more questions....

So you would leave the pipe and wire rolled up next to the well, connect everything to the pump and start lowering down? If we use the spacers, they have to be put on just before that part of the pipe enters the casing, correct?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I wouldn't use the torque arrestors, cable guards, or the rope. Everything added just makes it heavier and have more resistence on the way back out, even if they don't get stuck because you have 8" casing. Stretch the pipe out on the ground, tape the wire with electric tape every 10 or 20', put the well seal or pitless on the top of the pipe and run the wires through it. Have someone drag the pipe across the yard as someone with gloves on lowers everything in the well. About the time it starts to get heavy, you will hit water, which will lighten everything up. Just don't let it hit hard on the well seal at the end, or you might pop off a fitting. Make sure you have everything assembled first, so you don't have to stop on the way down.

If you are really good, you can use a torch. If not, better use hot water. The well needs to be disinfected when you get through anyway, so dragging it across the ground won't hurt. Jut disinfect it properly, washing from top to bottom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks