(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Electric Hot Water Heater Trips Breaker

Question New Electric Hot Water Heater Trips Breaker

I had an 80 gallon electric unit installed by Lowes. We filled it with water, turned the breaker on, it begins cycling process, and then trips breaker within about 10-15 minutes of starting.

Since I just bought the house through sheriff's sale, I don't have any history on the house other than the hot water heater that was there when we got access to the house had been there for 17 years using the existing power supply. We've made no changes in the electrical panel that would have supplied power to the old unit and the new unit was the same size as the old.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Call Lowes back. They should guarantee their work. Lowes sells Whirlpool heaters which are generally not rated very high among plumbers on this forum. There are several reason for breakers to trip, it takes someone with electrical knowledge and instruments to determine just what your problem is. It may or may not be the heater itself. Not something to DIY.

Thanks, Gary. I did try to get Lowes' installer involved but they believe they did everything correctly and won't even come back out to look at it. I've escalated it up to the store manager and the regional guy but until I can get some help from them, I'm on my own with a hot water tank that doesn't work. I agree that this isn't something to do DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by safeire View Post
    Thanks, Gary. I did try to get Lowes' installer involved but they believe they did everything correctly and won't even come back out to look at it. I've escalated it up to the store manager and the regional guy but until I can get some help from them, I'm on my own with a hot water tank that doesn't work. I agree that this isn't something to do DIY.
    One thing you can do safiere, is look at the circuit breaker that is tripping to see its amp rating and then look at the Amp draw that may be on the new water heater's label. In any case, is the KWatt rating the same of the new heater compared to that of the old one? If the old one is gone, then that won't be possible. I know you said that the size (in gallons?) is the same, but maybe the new heater has a faster recovery and draws more power. Or, then again, maybe there is a problem.
    I mentioned the above because you said it was heating for 10-15 minutes before it tripped, and a small overload on a breaker will not trip it fast like a short will. If you try it again, will it still trip the breaker after a few minutes, or right away?
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Maybe check the wire size also. If the wire is too small, this could account of the overload, much the same as described in the previous post regarding the breaker. If the wire is large enough, it would be simple and inexpensive to install a new breaker of proper size. If the wire is too small, then an electrician would be in order.

What size breaker do you have? I would guess an 80 gallon would have 5500 watt elements, so would draw 22 amps and should be on a 30 amp breaker. The old one was I suppose the same?

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Angry lowes is junk

did you get one of those Whirlpool energy smart heaters from lowes with the control box on the top of the heater....

if it is that kind of heater, you might as well take it out
    before it shorts out totally and causes a fire....

Name:  mark_whirlpool_circuit_boar.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  35.3 KB

Default Many thanks!

I appreciate all of the feedback and will check out the breaker and the wire and report back out on results.

Yes, it is one of the smart efficiency models from Whirpool. Are there known issues with this model?

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

here is someinformation from consumer affairs.com...

you will find about a thousand complaints about the whirlpool water heater...

somewhere in those complaints you will find some on the ELECTRIC heater that you have

and some of them are complaints about them catching on fire in that crappy control box..

many of the complaints are because they were bad from day one and whirlpool told them to go to hell

good luck

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...r_heaters.html

whirlpool electric water heater complaints

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=31932

Thanks to all for your feedback and assistance. I wish I had found this Forum BEFORE we purchased the Lowes/Whirlpool HWH. Unfortunately, now my choices are limited.
    Safeire

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Made in Mexico serviced by Libyans. All profits to Loweballs.

Sorry to see you're having problems! Can you contact me directly so I can help?
    www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com/help
    Thanks ~ Chris
    American Water Heater, authorized licensee for Whirlpool Water Heaters

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlpoolwaterheaterhelp View Post
    Sorry to see you're having problems! Can you contact me directly so I can help?
    www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com/help
    Thanks ~ Chris
    American Water Heater, authorized licensee for Whirlpool Water Heaters
    There You go Safeire,

You have a right for them to make it right.

Stand up for your rights, and ask why they sold and installed a piece of shit in your home, When they knew that they had problems.

I hope you have a good outcome.

Have a happy Holiday.

DonL
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Chris, you have a hard job - your company sacrifices quality for profit.

But maybe that gives you a job - but its sad state of affairs.

Hi Chris (whirlpool guy)...

I don't think that anything has been established here concerning the exact cause of Safeire's problem. In fact, I'm betting that we have a bad breaker or some other issue, but the heater has definitely NOT been shown to be the issue in this case at this time.

Safeire, there has definitely been some issues with the energy smart whirlpool water heater diagnostic control system, but the problems I have seen do not include issues like you describe here. I would recommend that you call in a qualified electrician to evaluate your issue. If the breaker is bad or there is a junction box with issues, then he can repair/replace as needed. If the wire is undersized then I think lowes has some 'splaining to do as this should have been caught by the plumber at the time of installation. The water heater installation should also have been inspected by a local plumbing inspector (at least in most towns/cities) so this kind of thing can't happen, OK?

Back to you...