plumbing wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Eileenc

Reaction score
My house has a wall thickness of 10" between the back of the tub & Toilet area and the wall behind that. I made a small opening so I could see what was inside and found this:
1. a horizontal 2X4
2. a vent pipe
3. 6" dead space

I measured the distance from the wall to the innermost side of the pipe and found it lined up with the center of the toilet on the other side.

I want to do a remodel and am going to get the original plans from the city. But want to know if it is possible to switch to a wall hung toilet from a floor mounted toilet? What would need to be done to the current toilet drain?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

It is easier to go from a floor mount to a wall mount, but the actual work involved depends entirely on the actual existing construction. A 10" wall, if configured properly is ideal for a wall hung.

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
just curious as to why you would want to do this? Anyway you would need to open the wall and or floor, cut out old piping and bring 3 in pipe up the wall, install a new (Jones or equal) wall carrier, secure it with large bolts to existing or new structural members, adjust the bolts for a proper fit, move or adjust the location of the water line, prehang the new toilet to make sure everything is right, remove the toilet, resheetrock the wall, tile and by all means make sure no weight is supported by the sheetrock or tile. This is just a sample of what you might have to go through. Hope this information helps.

Eileenc

Reaction score
Jeffrey,

Perhaps I should hire you to clean the floor behind the toilet. TOOOOOOOOOO hard to get it cleaned correctly. With the toilet elevated off the floor a mop can easily do the job. The clearance between tub/toilet and wall/toilet does not allow easy cleaning. I have to lay down on the lid and reach back there to clean. AND, I have to do it for 2 bathrooms.

A second reason is the wheelchair my son uses would have more clearance if the toilet were wall mounted with the cistern inside the wall instead of outside the wall.

Eileen

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks