I was up in Caulfield looking at a leaking toilet last week. Leaking is the wrong term because it only leaked once and then stopped. But after the plunge the smell stayed behind.

It was a weird case. The smell seamed to come and go. It was after I removed the toilet and cleaned the area that I figured out what was happening.

When I covered the area with plastic and was packing up for the day the plastic moved... Weird.

I went downstairs and asked if the homeowner had opened any fans or windows and as it turns out she had just opened the patio doors. I guessed that the wind that raced in from outside leaked through the kitchen pot lights and up through the tiny spaces around the toilet flange and it did.

That answered the smell but not the leak.

When I measured the toilet it was set for a 12" rough in (finished wall) and the flange was set at 11". Whoops.

You can see the depression in the collar where it didn't sit right.

Does anyone know if Kohler makes a shorter rough in for the K-3564?

Do you think I could cheat the floor rough in and perhaps cheat the toilets waste pipe to make up the inch? I think I can get 3/8" from the floor collar and perhaps with a little heat gun loving or my baby torch I could persuade the toilets waste outlet to go where I want???

A tad sketchy for sure but the clients love the toilet.

Kohler Saile elongated one-piece toilet with dual flush technology
K -3564