Main drain depth exiting cottage for septic line connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Have smallish 650 sq. ft. cottage in Northern Michigan - seasonal for non-winter months.

Replumbing entire DWV system, and need to know what depth to exit cottage for future new septic system (elevated-engineered system) connection.

Have heard conflicting stories, e.g. top of (3" sch. 40 pipe in my case) at least 8" below ground level.

Please advise. After exiting, will travel short distance to dousing tank - grinder pump then some 300' to field.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You install the plumbing inside the building, and then they install the septic tank wherever it has to be so the pipe can be connected. I have had tanks 18" below the ground, and also 10' down when there was a basement.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would put it at least 12 inches deep so your tanks will be below the ground surface. The depth of the tanks should not matter unless you have bedrock near the surface or a very high water table that could cause installation problems etc. Since you are pumping the sewage the depth is not as important. Sometimes for a gravity system you would have to keep the plumbing high if the drain-field was being installed in a raised mound or required to be installed ultra shallow because of the water table etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks