wiring 220V Stenner pump to pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I suppose this is a hybrid well/electrical question. . . Has anyone ever wired a 220V Stenner pump directly to the pressure switch, so that it kicks on when the well pump starts? Stenner says not to chop the end of the plug off, but I always take that with a grain of salt. I thought about installing an outlet and wiring the outlet to the pressure switch, but that seems kind of redundant.

I have a three wire 230V (3/4 hp) submersible pump. Can I just loosen the screws where the power comes into the pressure switch and slip the wires for the Stenner underneath the screws?

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 58,007

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
Yes, you can cut the plug and with the power off attach the 2 power wires from the plug under the terminal screws for the well pump and attach the ground wire from the stenner pump plug to the ground screw on the pressure switch. Be aware if you do this, Stenner will most likely under any condition not warranty the pump.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I suppose this is a hybrid well/electrical question. . . Has anyone ever wired a 220V Stenner pump directly to the pressure switch, so that it kicks on when the well pump starts? Stenner says not to chop the end of the plug off, but I always take that with a grain of salt. I thought about installing an outlet and wiring the outlet to the pressure switch, but that seems kind of redundant.

I have a three wire 230V (3/4 hp) submersible pump. Can I just loosen the screws where the power comes into the pressure switch and slip the wires for the Stenner underneath the screws?

If you want to make it run when the pump is on then you would have to connect it to the LOAD side of the pressure switch and not the input where the power comes in.

If you cut the plug off to wire it then it may not meet electrical code, but would work, as long as you do not exceed the current rating of the pressure switch.

Your outlet idea may be better, If you have to meet your electrical code.

DonL

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
In my opinion, an outlet on the load side of the switch that also serves as a junction box for the well pump wires is the only way this should be done.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That's some hack job wiring on the pressure switch and I would not add any more wires to it.

Since you say you have a 3 wire pump, there must be a control box between the switch and the pump. Wire the outlet to the switched line side of the control box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally, the wires would be inserted UNDER the metal plates on the screws, not directly under the screw heads. If the pump is still under warranty, the manufacturer will void it if the cord is cut for ANY reason.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
Normally, the wires would be inserted UNDER the metal plates on the screws, not directly under the screw heads. If the pump is still under warranty, the manufacturer will void it if the cord is cut for ANY reason.

Which pressure switch are you using?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Looks like a Square-D which doesn't use loose plates under the screws. Normally the wire is bent into a U for better contact under the screw head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks