Toilet handle fiasco...

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a 1982 Kilgore, and the handle bit the dust. We tried 2 handles (the one I am showing in the video we bought from Home Depot in the BAD video - I tried another from a local company called "Homeowners Plumbing Supply" - it was even worse for play and stuck in the down position when you flushed), so I put the original POS one back in...

YOU WILL NEED QUICKTIME INSTALLED TO VIEW THESE VIDEOS - THIS IS A STANDARD VIDEO FORMAT FOR THE WEB

www.apple.com/quicktime

===

Here are 2 Videos:

BAD one:
(ALOT of movement, up/down and sideways - I have tightened the nut the most I can plus everything else I can think of)

http://www.cfcsaz.com/other/bad.mov

OK one:
(on same model Kilgore in Master Bath (seems to be using a Plastic Washer, etc. instead of metal - very little movement) - this is perfectly fine for us.

http://www.cfcsaz.com/other/ok.mov

Can anyone help find a decent flush lever that isn't a POS and will not have back and forth play like crazy?

It seems like everyone is selling these POS ones now...

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
fluidmaster_15543051.jpg

Pick up a Fluidmaster lever.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "nut" has absolutely NOTHING to do with the movement of the handle. All overtightening it will do is crack the tank. Inexpensive metal handles MUST have some play so that they do not start sticking when corrosion becomes a factor. A Fluidmaster handle will do what you want. "Movement" of the handle also has nothing to do with its performance, however.

chrisf8657

Reaction score
hj,

Yes, I know it has nothing to do with flushing, but it is still loose. Thanks for the extra explanations though!

THIS THREAD IS NOW CONSIDERED DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks