Sewer Smells from Washing machine Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

rholly

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am new to this forum and new to plumbing. We just bought a house that was built in 92. We live outside of the city and it turns out there are no plumbing inspections for homes built. So as it turns out most of our plumbing is likely not to code. The major concern was that all of our vents are vented to the attic. There are 2 3" pipes with studor vents on them and another 2" with a studor AAV (this is the one in the pic). Both plumbers and the inspector seemed to think that they were working just fine. However, my washing machine is giving off sewer smells. The area that the washing machine is, is very far away from the rest of the plumbing in the house and I think that the washing machine has its own vent and is not tied into anything else.

Anyway, as you can see in the diagram (blue) the vent is on the wrong side of the p-trap. We have thought about coming up on the sewer side of the p-trap and then coming over and tying into the vent (Red), however there is little space due to conduit networking throughout. We should be able to make it fit if this is the route we want to take, but still deciding (hopefully you guys can help). The other idea that we had was to just install an AAV on the sewer side of the p-trap (green) and cut off the vent that goes into the attic. If we go this route, how high doe the p-trap need to be? Manufactures say a minimum of 4" above p-trap, but then I also see that they like them 18" above the drain?

Do you guys have any input on this? I know, I know, that we need to get those vents to the outside, but that is going to take some time and money, and are looking for a fix that will suffice for now.

Thanks for your helpView attachment 13363

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 481
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks