Toilet not flushing properly

Users who are viewing this thread

paper123

Reaction score
I hope you all can help. This issue has been going on for many months now and lately we have just stopped using this one toilet. I live in a 2 story house with 2.5 bathrooms. The master bathroom started to not flush properly. Instead of seeing the little whirlpool when you flushed, the water instead just rose up high as the water from the tank entered and then settled back down at the normal level. Paper does not go down but solid waste at the bottom does. This is now happening about 60-70% of the time. Our other toilets work fine. Someone recently mentioned that they once had an issue with the air pipe on the roof being clogged so I had my son in law take a look. We have only one pipe on the roof and he said that after about 2 feet it takes a 90 degree turn. Nothing he could see in there so he was stumped.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue is? No small children to drop things in to clog it. If it were clogged it would not work some of the time. It is 27 years old but somehow I have a feeling it is not the toilet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's on the second floor, it's the trapway on the bowl.
Sometimes something will drop in like a make up pencil, and it moves around catching things and not catching things.
We use a auger with a 1.5" end on it. It does a good job of pushing things out. And if we can't push it though, then we know we need to pull the bowl and work it from the lower end.

paper123

Reaction score
Thanks. I did remember that my husband remembered he did drop tweezers into the toilet accidentally but could not retrieve it. When he rmembered that info we could not recall if this started then or not. Could tweezers cause this? I think we will probably get a new toilet because it is 28 years old.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks