Installing pedestal sink

Users who are viewing this thread

SJL

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to replace the sink/vanity in our guess bath with a pedetsal sink but the studs behind the sink are 2x4s. I've never installed a pedestal sink. Will this be ok? Or should I re-enforce the wall? if so any suggestions? Or should I bag the whole idea and go with another vanity.

Thanks,
Steve

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
With a pedestal it is not mandatory to have the same solid blocking in the wall as if you were doing a wall-hung. All the weight of the bowl is carried by the pedestal. The bolts through the sink into the wall simply prevent the sink from pulling away from the wall in case someone leans on it. If you do not have wood to screw into, you should use toggle bolts. Anchors into drywall are not enough.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Wall Hung

Jim, I've always felt the newer pedestal lavatories were supported by the wall brackets like our wall hung lavatories. That you could remove the base and leave the lav on the wall. But since you're two years older you're probably wiser. Afterall you only rode through Kansas, you didn't stop and stay.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, and it was nightime when I was on the train through Kansas.!

I do not claim extensive knowledge, but all the lavs I see in the stores and showrooms now are supported by the pedestal. I have not seen one where the weight was held by the wall. For one thing, they do not have the wedge-shaped lip like a wall-hung to take the weight. The screw holes are at the bottom, so they cannot take any vertical strain.

There are so many good plumbers reading here that I am sure that we will here about other types of sinks that I don't know about.

LonnythePlumber

Reaction score
Wedge shape

The ones I've been installing have a wedge shaped back and lavatory mounting brackets. Usually two seperate but sometimes one long. I use the bottom holes to keep the lav from lifting off the brackets. The bigger ones are supported by the base. Maybe we have smaller potty rooms in Kansas. I just know hj is going to get on and disagree with both of us. But he doesn't clean up after himself like we do.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

Riddle. What is it that every one likes a little of, but no one likes a smart one? Most pedestal lavs have a recess for the pedestal, so you could not take it out without removing the sink first. I have always "glued" the pedestal sink to the wall, floor, and pedestal and have never had one come loose, much less break.

LonnythePlumber

Reaction score
Wrong

Okay I'm wrong :( . I checked American Standard and Kohler's site and Kohler says lav must be supported by pedestal :rolleyes: .

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Installing Pedestal sinks

"I checked American Standard and Kohler's site and Kohler says lav must be supported by pedestal."
Lonny
If thats the case, why don't they make the pedestals and bowls to closer tolerances? I've seldom gotten a bowl that sits perfectly level above its pedestal. I set my bowls on their peds, level them up, mark the wall, remove the bowl, sink 2 1/4" carriage screws into the wall backing (which my journeyman put in during rough-in), remount the bowl, level it up again and tighten it down with nuts and fender washers, caulking or sticky felting any gaps.

LonnythePlumber

Reaction score
Wall Brackets

I don't know why they don't fit better. I've been using wall brackets and thought the wall was supposed to provide the support. I install as you do denny except I add the wall brackets.

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
My house sits on a concrete slab. I'm installing a Kohler pedestal sink. Is it necessary to install a screw (tapcon, in my case) to secure the pedestal to the floor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks