HELP Identifying a older Delta tub/shower faucet maybe 1988 timeframe

Users who are viewing this thread

thomasnrach

Reaction score
The faucet lifts up to turn on and turns left and right for temp control.
See pic!

IMAG0149.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a 600 series. Remove handle and plate. To repair it there is a pair of rubber seats and springs that can be replaced. The handle operates a ball, which is also replaceable but not always necessary.

The HARD part is unscrewing the bonnet nut you will see as soon as you remove the handle. Use white vinegar, heat, and a dremel tool, in that order , as necessary to loosen it up. DO NOT put a wrench on it and go to town...the valve body will be damaged beyond repair. ( There is one person in the United States who is known to repair them. Try not to screw it up!)

Take some more photos and check in here again.

leacockzoo

Reaction score
Jimbo, I am getting ready to replace the seats, springs, ball in my old 600 delta so it won't drip. I'm an electrician, Jim, not a plumber (a little Star Trek humor), so I am a bit nervous on removing the heavily deposited valve body bonnet. The knob screw is stripped and corroded badly so I already know I will have to carefully hack saw the plastic knob off in pieces (have a replacement knob also). I have read your instructions about avoiding the wrench and using vinegar, heat, dremel. What do you intend the dremel to be used for (I do have one). After doing all of those can I periodically attempt a light touch of the wrench to move it? Advice appreciated...

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is often necessary to use a dremel to split the chrome dome nut under the handle, as the design of the valve body is vulnerable to FATAL damage if the nut is stuck and you try to wrench it

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your ball will have a "diamond" shaped stem, not a round one, aand the white "cam" will have an elongated slot instead of a triangle. Drill the screw holding the handle rather than chopping the handle to bits. If you damage the body, it would probably be cheaper to replace the valve than have me come there to repair it, although I could visit some of my family, and friends, at the same time.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you damage the body, it would probably be cheaper to replace the valve than have me come there to repair it, although I could visit some of my family, and friends, at the same time.

hj, the oracle from sedona, IS the only known person in the free world to have ever repaired on of these successfully after the tubes were twisted off. He deserves our deepest respect for his talent.

arl701

Reaction score
Delta nightmare

Your ball will have a "diamond" shaped stem, not a round one, aand the white "cam" will have an elongated slot instead of a triangle. Drill the screw holding the handle rather than chopping the handle to bits. If you damage the body, it would probably be cheaper to replace the valve than have me come there to repair it, although I could visit some of my family, and friends, at the same time.

"Hello, can you please help me identify what type of a valve this is and how I can replace it? I attempted to take it apart but it won't budge!
photo.jpg

arl701

Reaction score
photo.jpg"Hello, can you please help me identify what type of a valve this is and how I can replace it? I attempted to take it apart but it won't budge!"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks