(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need to buy some toilets - Gerber Ultra Flush or Toto? Questions about both.

Default Need to buy some toilets - Gerber Ultra Flush or Toto? Questions about both.

Just got into a new house. I had Gerber Ultra Dual EL (ecoflush) at the last one, and really liked them when they worked. I won't be buying this model again due to the reliability problems of the Ecoflush system.

I'm considering Gerber Ultra Flush EL 1.1-gallon with the Sloan system for the new place. The noise doesn't bother me and I understand the Sloan system is much more reliable than Ecoflush. However Gerber toilets are very difficult to find here in Austin TX. Any advice on where I can order them at locally or online? Also willing to consider other 1.1-gallon pressure models if there is one that is better.

Also considering the Toto Drake or other Toto. However it appears that everything Toto makes is "comfort height". I don't want comfort height. Is there a good Toto elongated bowl model that is the old, standard, non ADA comfort height??? And, any advice on where to find them in Austin?
    Last edited by Terry; 06-17-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you get the Gerber Ultraflush, then anything Flushmate would be better. The WDI EcoFlush should have never made it to market.

Both Gerber and Toto make standard height and comfort height.
    The standard height Drake elongated is either the CST744S or the CST744E

The tall Drakes are the CST744SL, CST744EL and CST454CEFG

For pressure assist, you can also look at the Kohler Highline with Flushmate in a 1.1
    It uses the Flushmate. The highline is a tall bowl, but Kohler also makes a standard height pressure assist.

I sell all of these, but most of my "repeat" business has been Toto.
    The Toto web site shows two dealers in Austin and one in Round Rock

Mail order doesn't work on Gerber. I used to break almost every Gerber I shipped.
    In fact if you drop a porcelain bowl from six inches, it will break.

Here is a almost new Gerber Ultraflush that was replaced with a TOTO Ultramax.
    The Gerber works fine, so James will be finding a home for it.
    The homeowner wanted something a bit less noticeable when flushing.

Last edited by Terry; 06-17-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Terry. I think what I meant was that I can't find any Toto models with the double cyclone that are standard height. Am I missing something, or am I stuck with the old model (the ones you listed, with no double cyclone) if I want standard height? My understanding is that the double cyclone models give similar performance than the older G-max systems, while also using less water and better bowl wash. Sounds like a definite advantage but I really don't like the higher seat.

As far as Gerber, they report that the Ultra Flush uses sloan flushmate and the Dual Flush uses wdi ecoflush. Not likely to matter since I can't find a local dealer and don't want to deal with shipping damage.

Unless you and your family is less than average height, you might be wise to reconsider the standard height. Especially as we get older, it becomes more difficult to stand up when you are sitting with you knees higher than your thighs. I'm only 5'8" and my wife is 5'7", and we really appreciate the extra couple of inches.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Toto makes a standard height elongated bowl with Sanagloss, the C744EG
    That works fine.