Waste Overflow options & installation

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Have cast iron 2" tub drain & p-trap in place. Now need to connect the W&O to that. As there will not be any access panels am I correct that I cannot use a slip-joint type W&O kit and/or connection to the CI drain? (I've seen HJ claim in a thread he hasn't installed an access panel in 50 years... so who is using all these tubular W&O kits?! They all use slip joints, right?)

Assuming no access panel, then, am I correct in thinking my only option is a ABS or PVC sch 40 kit that is glued up? If not, what other options are there? (I would make the connection to the drain, then, with a Mission Coupling 2" CI to 1.5" plastic, right?)

The only "remote operated" drain I see for Sch40 W&O is the cable-driven ones. Any recommendations (i.e. brands) or cautions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; so who is using all these tubular W&O kits?! They all use slip joints, right?)

The plumbers using tubular W&O kits without an access door are the ones who install them correctly the FIRST time, so they do NOT have to get to them until the tub is removed for remodeling.

DavidTu

Reaction score
the ones who install them correctly the FIRST time...

Whoa... thought code required an access panel... does it not? I'm in Seattle, if it matters, but I am/was under impression that the panel was not optional. Please 'splain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks