Injector Pump Running Continuously (not switching off)

Users who are viewing this thread

diydisaster

Reaction score
Hello,

The injector pump in my crawlspace is running continuously and is not switching itself off.

This has happened in the past and usually it somehow corrects itself after a few days but I have a few questions about this particular problem....

1.)Do I need to worry about the motor on the pump overheating because it's running continuously? If so, how often should I switch it off so it can cool down and for how long?

2.)What would end up happening if the pump burned out?

3.) Would could possibly be causing this to happen? I am guessing something is causing whatever triggers the machine to turn off to stick and it thinks there is still stuff to pump out?

I should also add the I have tried several different things such as unplugging the pump and switching the circuit off for awhile in hopes of it resetting but that does not work. The well the pump is in is sealed by thick plastic (permaseal) and I do not have access to it to open it up.

Any other information you may need me to provide, just let me know. Thanks in advance for the help....

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A sewage ejector pump and/or a sump pump both use a float switch to turn the pump on and off. It is common for the switches to fail. Sometimes stuff in the basin can also stop the float from moving freely, which will prevent the switch from operating properly.

If the pump is running and not pumping any liquids, it will cause it to fail prematurely. I would fix the switch immediately, as it would be a lot cheaper that replacing a burned-out pump.

diydisaster

Reaction score
Thanks for the info....

Luckily, yesterday, shortly after I posted this thread, the pump managed to turn off and started to work properly.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That's kind of like saying that your car leaked out 5 quarts of oil yesterday, but it's not leaking anymore so it must be ok.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks