Electric Water Heater Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

redrum77

Reaction score
Anybody have a recommendation for an electric hot water heater?
I have a 50 Gallon AO Smith Pro Max that started to leak just as the warranty expired and I am hesitant to get another one. I hear Bradford White is the way to go, but I am not even sure that I can get one around here without being a contractor. I worked for a plumber for 4 years so I would be doing the job myself. I know from him to steer clear of big box stores. I am just looking for some insight as to what is a reliable brand and if I am sizing properly. Currently I am running a 50 Gallon, 1 1/2 bath house with 4 residents. Should I upgrade to a 65 Gallon? If I do decide to get a Bradford White, should I get the High Efficiency energy model? (example HE65R6DS-65)
Any advise would be fantastic.
Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Size depends on use patterns and points of use: how much and how long are the showers; how much time in between; would you be running the DW or WM at the same time; multiple showers at the same time; have a big tub to fill?

redrum77

Reaction score
Size depends on use patterns and points of use: how much and how long are the showers; how much time in between; would you be running the DW or WM at the same time; multiple showers at the same time; have a big tub to fill?

gotcha. 20 minute showers. About an hour in between each. only one shower running at a time. big tub, but rarely gets used. no dishwasher. Sometime we use the washing machine while showering.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bradford White would be an excellent choice. Supposedly, BW are only sold to plumbers, but I don't think that is always the case. There should be no problem finding one anywhere in the USA.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a big difference in the gas appliances, in the burner design, the gas valve, etc. Not much in the electric...some, but not much.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No matter which brand of heater you buy, if you check the supply houses which handle that brand you will find almost the same number of units which have failed during the warranty period. Electric heaters typically fail much sooner that gas ones, and I do not know of any which come with "long life" elements standard. You have to buy them and install them yourself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks