Plumbers putty for tub drain, or...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
I have a sterling vikrell bathtub that i need to put a pvc drain on. On this forum i saw a discussion of plumbers putty vs. silicone, and it seemed plumbers putty won. However, in the blue and orange box stores around here, they only have the standard oateys plumbers putty, and on it, the directions say "do not use on plastic." The vikrell is pretty close to "plastic" as far as i can tell.

So what would you do here?

stuart

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You need "no stain" plumber's putty, although, since Vickrell is a very smooth surface, you could probably get by with NO putty at all, (especially if you only use the shower), since all it does is "keep" the water in the tub when it is filled. It does NOT prevent leaks from under the tub.

Last edited:

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
I can't find "no stain" around here, the box stores only have regular old oateys plumbers putty. There also is no plumbers supply shop around here. I guess i'll have to keep looking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks