(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean Toto toilets?

DIY Junior Member decisions, decisions!'s Avatar

Default How do you clean Toto toilets?

We recently installed 2 Toto toilets-one with sanagloss and one without. What kind of brush and cleaner should be used? I've read the sites specifying no Comet, etc., but haven't come across what is actually best. Thank you!!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Any non-abrasive cleaner. I'd stay away from anything with a lot of acid in it too. Basically pretty much anything designed for bathroom cleaning that says it is non-abrasive. You'll find thatthe Sanagloss will allow you to just brush off most things and it won't accumulate much or anywhere near as fast as the other one you have.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

With my Sanagloss Toto I received instructions to use a neutral (not acidic or basic) cleaner. Having in for just a few days I haven't figured out what to clean it with, but they were clear about not using anything that was acidic or basic.

Glenn

DIY Junior Member decisions, decisions!'s Avatar

Default product names?

Thank you for the imput-any specific products? Clorox w/teflon? Soft Scrub?

Default Bowl cleaner

I do not have hard water in either my home (municipal water) or my camp (brook water) and have no need for an acidic cleaner. Between the two places there are 4 toilets. I'm using Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach on all 4 of them. I also use Pine-Sol, which is mild. I use a plastic body toilet brush (no metal holding the bristles that will rust and scratch the toilet). These cleaners do an excellent job and keep my new Toto Drake and my 3 "antiques", the oldest of which is 70 years old, looking as new as they did when they came out of the box.

I would think ordinary dishwashing liquid would work too.

Matt

Firstly, I don't believe that 'soft scrub" is really all that soft. It Will scratch stainless steel. I use it on occasion only. Best advice: Break the bleach habit and switch to the Clorox/Teflon product on a regular basis.

I may also start using a Rain-X surfactant type of product as well as an experiment.
    I think we get so used to the fragrance of these cleaners and think they all work-they dont all work.

I mop my kitchen floors with scalding hot water. Nothing better.
    Last edited by Mike50; 02-16-2006 at 07:04 AM.

Here's the answer to all your questions. I'll never use a powdered cleanser on my Toto again...

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4966

Default cleaning toto toilets

What is the best product to clean my toto toilets???[

QUOTE=decisions, decisions!;28628]We recently installed 2 Toto toilets-one with sanagloss and one without. What kind of brush and cleaner should be used? I've read the sites specifying no Comet, etc., but haven't come across what is actually best. Thank you!! [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by hensleyvi View Post
    What is the best product to clean my toto toilets???[

QUOTE=decisions, decisions!;28628]We recently installed 2 Toto toilets-one with sanagloss and one without. What kind of brush and cleaner should be used? I've read the sites specifying no Comet, etc., but haven't come across what is actually best. Thank you!!
    [/QUOTE]

This is copied from an email I received from a Toto rep almost a year ago:

Please do not use commercial cleaners, powders, or metal type brushes.

I would recommend using Clorox Green Works for your bowl cleaner and please do not use any cleaners in your tank.

It may wear down the life span of your tank parts.

Default Clorox Green Works for Toto toilets?????

Can I use CLorox Green Works Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner in my toto toilets with a sanagloss finish? I am unable to find Clorox with Teflon in my area.
    thanks!
    Patty

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Yes as long as the cleaner does not have an abrasive.
    Looking at the list of ingredients yours does not.

essential oils
    contains no phosphorous or bleach
    glycerine
    coconut-based cleaning agent
    (nonionic surfactants: alkyl polyglucoside)
    filtered water
    natural thickener (xanthan gum)
    blue and yellow colorant
    lactic acid, citric acid

Personally, I would not use anything with bleach in it to clean my toilets. It's very bad for the environment.

Default Cleaning the Toto: Drake model

I recently bought the Drake model, there is a lot to love about it ... but the cleaning is surprisingly hard. It gets dirty right at the water line which is hard to scrub clean because it is a little curvy. I am also having a hard time because not all the water flushs out (which I know is the design) so I have to be careful not to use too much cleaner because there is some residual left.

I really want to get this all figured out because I still have two more toilets to replace.

I was wondering if I could reattach the chain in the tank a link or two so that the water line would be just a little lower in the bowl and would be located where the walls of the bowl are straighter and easy to clean??

Have you noticed any (significant) difference between the two in terms of staying clean? Does the Sanagloss eliminate or reduce the need for frequent, quick brush cleaning? Since you have one of each, you are an ideal test. I have 2 Toto Drake models without Sanagloss and need to replace another toilet. I'm trying to find out if the Sanagloss really makes a difference.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Sanagloss does make a difference.

I have one customer in Issaquah that started with one, and then replace the other two with Sanagloss.

I have two Sanagloss in the home and one non right now.
    The non will be leaving soon.

I like moving things around anyway, you get to try more things that way.