Tree Roots Found In Toilet / Sewer Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Soca

Reaction score
I have a single level slab home in Southern California ( built in 1985 ). My hall toilet sits back-to-back with the toilet in the back bedroom. Recently, the hall toilet has not been flushing correctly. No overflow but the bowl will fill then slowly empties. Oftentimes the emptying isn't complete. I ran a 3 foot toilet auger down the toilet and pulled out a small clump of tree roots. These roots look like the tree roots from a palm tree that is planted in the backyard, close to the house and near these bathrooms. The bedroom toilet works fine as does the clothes washer, sinks and tubs. No backup of water noticed anywhere. The only corrective measure that I've tried so far ( earlier this week ) is a hall toilet application of copper sulfate ( Roebic brand ) and two days later Roebic's root kill product ( dichlobenil ). No improvement yet, although I'm aware that the roots will still be there for some time even if they've been killed. BTW, there is a circular cover plate on the wall next to the bedroom toilet. Is this a clean-out ? I unscrewed the cover plate and there is a big black plastic cap with a large slot. It's a tight fit in the wall opening so I can't see where it goes from the wall or what it is. What type of ( root ) blockage does this sound like and what options do I have to fix this ? Thank you very much for any input.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It takes a break or loose connection in a drain line to allow roots to get in...so, IMHO, you have a leak in the drain line that probably should be fixed. Once that is done, a good plumber with the proper cutting snake head can ream the inside of the pipe out to clear those roots. You can snake it periodically, but if they got in once, they will grow back. Now, periodic use of a root killer may inhibit their regrowth, but just killing them won't clear them from the drain.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its possible the roots are coming in around the flange, I have seen this happen on rare occasions. Its easy to find out just remove the toilet and inspect the flange. At the same time it would be good to have a camera inspection of your main as it more likely will be coming in somewhere down the line.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Its possible the roots are coming in around the flange, I have seen this happen on rare occasions. Its easy to find out just remove the toilet and inspect the flange. At the same time it would be good to have a camera inspection of your main as it more likely will be coming in somewhere down the line.

That is a very common occurrence with a home on a slab. The roots come up where the waste line penetrates the slab. Just pull the toilet and remove the roots, they should be right there. They come up around the flange then go back down into the waste line.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The roots won't come in unless there is a leak (generally), so if that's the case, you may be lucky. You probably had a wax ring seal leak that must be fixed with a new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks