Ceramix American Standard shower handles: removal and ID

Users who are viewing this thread

Boblothrope

Reaction score
I'd like to remove these two American Standard shower handles, particularly the one with the starbust design, so I can clean out or replace the cartridge.

I'm having trouble removing the set screw. It looks like it takes a slotted screwdriver, but I tried several, and they don't feel like they're engaging the screw at all. Anyone know what size screwdriver or allen key I should be using?

Also, if you happen to know the name of this trim style and the model of cartridge, it would be helpful. Though I do have a great plumbing supply store that can identify the old cartridge if I bring it in.

Thanks!

upstairsShowerHandleSmall.JPG
downstairsShowerHandleSmall.JPG

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here is the trim sheet showing Ceramix , and others , which use the R120 series rough valve.

as-r120-trims.jpg

Ultramix I think is older. The one on the left could also be Aquarian, but since your showers are probably the same age, is is probably Ultramix

The valve parts are not the same for the two models I have shown. You won't know for sure what animal you have until you get the trims off. Anyway, the parts are readily available from a good supplier.

as-r120-shower-valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Boblothrope

Reaction score
Here is the trim sheet showing ceramix , and others , which use the R120 series rough valve. Here is the r120

Thanks. I think they are models which take a R120 valve. The handle goes up and down for volume, and rotates for temperature.

Any tips for loosening the set screw, like what size screwdriver to use?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Unless someone previoulsy replaced it , the screw should be an allen ( HEX) set screw. you just have to get a good look at it with a flashlight and mirror, and pull the right tool out of your tool box. Spraying a little white vinegar onto it can help with mineral buildups,

as-ceramix.jpg

Boblothrope

Reaction score
I recently fixed a relative's wobbly American Standard shower handle of a similar vintage. After a big wet struggle with various allen keys (the shower was running, since it was an apartment and we didn't have access to the shutoffs), I got underneath and looked, and the set screw took a slotted screwdriver.

So I tried that on mine (the second picture) when I got home, without success. I looked underneath, and that one took an allen key!

The detail you've all been waiting for: it was the 3/32" size allen key. (Nowhere could I find this information on the Internet.)

So now I'm pretty sure that the one in the first picture needs a long thin slotted screwdriver, since that's what it looked like, and either type of screw is a possibility.

I took out the cartridge by removing the 3 screws. It didn't look clogged. When I put it back, it seemed a little noisier. Would soaking it in vinegar be good for it, and possibly reduce the noise?

If there was a second cartridge for pressure-balancing which remained in the valve body, I couldn't figure out how to remove it.

I wasn't sure how tight the 3 screws should be. If I tightened them too much, the handle was hard to move, but I really don't want it to leak inside the wall. Any guidelines?

DIY Amy

Reaction score
American Standard shower handle removal.
What a horrible experience. After an hour of fooling around, I just broke it off. It's being replaced anyway but my shut off does the sink and the shower and I wanted to leave the sink on. No biggie. It turned out that the all mighty set screw was at about 4 o'clock and it was a 5/64 sized allen key. I'd have never figured it out. 3/32 would be great if they'd stick with it. Or maybe like the other person it was a replacement screw. Well if the screws keep getting lost how about adding another in the packaging to help folks out? Or how about standardizing? There's got to be a better way. Horrible. Frustrating. Annoying. Blah.

TeXan

Reaction score
set screws

I hope this can be useful to some people I did a little research.
Moen:
uses hardware that will require a 7/64 inch hex wrench. This applies to Moen Renzo faucets, handle set screws on one-handle kitchen faucets, and PosiTemp levers in Moen showers.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Delta faucet

Set Screw which uses a 3/32" Allen wrench for installation and removal.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

American Standard:
The handle set screw can be removed with a 7/64 wrench. 3/8″ can be used as a substitute for hex size 9.5 mm as well as 10 mm. However, faucet holes may vary in size depending on the particular make and model.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kohler:
For example, on the Mazz Kitchen Sink Faucet, you’ll need a 3/32 inch (or 2.5mm) Allen key. This will allow you to tighten or loosen the set screw in the handle to do whatever repair is needed.
On the other hand, some of Kohler’s faucets require a ⅛ inch Allen wrench. So, the answer hinges on the particular faucet model you’re dealing with
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Grohe
https://www.grohe.us › faqs

Yes, all GROHE kitchen and bathroom faucets are made from our proprietary high-quality brass alloy, ... To adjust, you will need a 2.5mm Allen wrench.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

pfister:

Genuine Replacement Part 971-0140 Set Screw​

https://www.pfisterfaucets.com › parts-support › product

A 3/32 allen/hex wrench will fit the set screw part # 971-014 which can be purchased from your local home improvement store. Sincerely, Pfister Support Team.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks