connect 2" washer standpipe to 4" pvc drain

Users who are viewing this thread

saccof

Reaction score
My new drains at 17 gallons/minute washer overflows the standpipe when it pumps out into the drainfield of this old house
I'd like to connect the washer to drain into the 4" pipe going to my septic tank.

Is there a way to cut that horizontal 4" pvc pipe, remove a section, and splice in some angled fitting to accept a 2" opvc washer drain?

Right now I'm draining the washer into a big bucket and dumping it in the yard, in several trips per load.

I probably really need a new drainfield dug, with a trenched pipe to it, but I can't afford that.

Thanks
Fred

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
proflex.jpg

You can cut the line, insert a wye fitting with repair couplings.
The washer trap will need to be vented or at least have an AAV on it to prevent the trap from siphoning.

This will be better in the long run anyway.

saccof

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

I don't see any trap on this washer drain pipe--where would it be, or where should I add it as I connect the 2" vertical drain to the 4' horizontal, about 2 feet apart?

saccof

Reaction score
Thanks, I see
Beautiful illustration.
I think I can do this.
Any special cleaning required on the old 4" pipe I'm splicing the wye into?
Your advice is much appreciated, and hopefully will save us some cash we don't really have.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. You said your drain was PVC and that's fine, but many people don't know the difference between PVC and ABS. PVC is white, and ABS is black. Either is good, just don't mix them. You must use PVC glue with PVC and ABS glue with ABS.

2. No really special cleaning is required other than primer is the pipe is PVC.

saccof

Reaction score
Thanks again, it is all the white stuff, been there for quite a few years.

The non-draining standpipe is now pvc coming through the floor to the washer, connected to old galvanized coming out of the ground, with a clamp similar to the one pictured in Terry's initial reply.

If I successfully fix this, instead of having to hire a plumber, I may then be more able to afford the fuel oil about to be delivered at $2.65 a gallon.......

saccof

Reaction score
My only concern, before i get the parts and dive in in the morning, is whether my equally old septic tank will handle the gallons of water from the washer?

Maybe if we only do a load or two in any day?

Sulconst2

Reaction score
you are not supposed to drain a washer into the septic tank. the soap kills bacteria which is needed to decompose the waste. homes with septic systems i usually see washers piped directly outside drained into a drywell.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I grew up in a house with a septic tank...the washer for the 6 of us went into the septic system. It is more the type of soap you use, and how much bleach you use that can mess up the system. That system is still going strong after over 50-years. We had to replace the original steel tank with a concrete one, but other than that - pumping out the tank as required (and this was with a garbage disposer, too.) My unprofessional opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks